Search This Blog

Friday, November 4, 2011

Sad Day

Well, we just sold our lovely wooden dining room set.  Although we really used it more as a work table than as a dining table, it was our favorite piece of furniture.  Shhhh.... don't tell the guy who bought it, but we used it the last several months as the cats' table for their food and water.  And Pete the betta fish lived on the table too.




We also got rid of this last week



Which was mainly used to store wedding gifts that we rarely used, and as a table to put our change container, lighters, receipts, business cards, hairspray and hair goo, hairbrush and stuff like that.  These were our furniture that we got in New Orleans.  And once we get rid of our old ripped up bed, we won't have any furniture from New Orleans.  It's kinda sad.  But the little cash we got was helpful.

These physically are just objects.  I learned a lot about not getting so attached to "things".  But, these pieces of heavy wood hold a lot of memories.  We have memories here for sure, but even more so in New Orleans.  We rarely ever go back to our parents' for holidays, mainly because of work and the hassle of traveling during the holidays.  So, we've had a lot of Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners at our place, sitting around this dining room table.  Getting loaded.  I rarely get loaded much anymore, but holidays still hold a special place in my liver, oh and in my heart too.

I don't think the fuss of bending over backwards and spending more money to be with family during Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day is necessarily worth it.  I mean, everyone gets stressed around the holidays, and you've seen the movies.  It's kind of better, in my opinion, to be able to hang out with family when it's not a national holiday.  I can't tell you how many times we've been visiting with family, and we've be deterred from doing things because it was the holidays.  You know, you don't do casual shopping the day after Thanksgiving.  And try to go to a popular restaurant that night without a reservation.

Okay, maybe I don't go to visit family nearly enough.  I realize this.  But I'm trying to get better at it.  Like for instance, we are going to be arriving in Florida with no jobs.  But, we really need to go visit the FP's mom.  She's going through some... trying times.  But, I want to go there and get a job asap.  But I know she will take it personally if I don't go.

Getting back to the furniture.  Every time we get rid of something or pack something, it's another step closer to leaving this little apartment here in Golden Hill, that we've been residing in for over 3 years.  It's sad.  But, it's promise of a new beginning.  New furniture around which to celebrate holidays with new friends.  And hopefully lighter furniture.  That shit was heavy.  I thought I was going to throw my back out helping this lady get that wooden cabinet to her car.

Although, I really think getting rid of the furniture affects the cats the most.  They have less and less higher places to hang out in their dwindling habitat.  The outside forces are entering into their environment and destroying the life that they knew and were comfortable in.  Every time we do cleaning and packing, it freaks them out.  Stinksy knows that a big move is in store.  The Fuzz doesn't know what to think, but anything different is scary for her anyway.  You know, I read these ads on craigslist, people putting their pets up for adoption because they are moving and can't keep them anymore.  I'm not going to judge these people.  They have their reasons.  But I can't imagine moving and just leaving my cats.

I gave up cats once.  When I was in college, I took these two little teeny kittens.  I didn't tell the property management, and I didn't pay a pet deposit.  These little guys would come to bed about 5 minutes after we went to bed.  They would settle on the pillows above our heads, and knead our hair until they fell asleep.  It was so sweet.  During the day, they would hide out in the crevice between the kitchen counters when we were gone.  As soon as I walked in, they would pop out to see me.  They were my little babies.  But, I was an irresponsible college kid.

The air conditioner needed to be fixed.  So I had put an order in.  I brought the cats to my friend's apartment for her to keep until the air was fixed, so the maintenance guy wouldn't see them.  It was several days, and the maintenance man had not shown.  I got tired of waiting for him, and I finally took the kitties back.  And then the maintenance guy showed up.  He made small talk and said something about the kittens.  The next day I got a notice that I needed to pay a pet deposit.  Fucking rat!  I didn't have the money, so I gave them away to these other college kids who seemed equally as irresponsible.  I felt like such a bad mom.  I had only had them for about 6 weeks, but I loved them.  After I dropped them off, I sat in my car and bawled my eyes out for a couple minutes, before I could drive.  That was a sad day.  I was a dumb college kid.

Anyway, I apologize for rambling on about sad things.  It's cold and windy and rainy outside, and that's kind of what my mood is like.  Maybe I just need another grilled cheese sandwich.  Or even better yet, a Nutella sandwich!!!

So, what can I leave you with? Something a little more cheery, perhaps.  I love miniature ponies and horses, so how about a miniature stallion video?!!!



Here's the website for this cute little frisky horse:
http://www.smalleststallion.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment