Search This Blog

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Special Thanksgiving Day Supplement

So, here we are at a sports bar down the street.  The FP is here to watch the 49s and the Ravens, I'm here to be the DD (although I was told by a TV commercial tonight that being the DD means no drinks at all... well, that won't quite happen) and use the free wifi.  There's this baby behind us that has been squealing in such a high pitch since we walked in.  I have to say it's annoying.  It hurts the ears.

From what I can see, this place has 35 TVs.  That's a lot.  I don't know how many receivers it has, but that's a lot of TV shows at one time!  Of course, most of the TVs are showing the football game, a few are showing food network, and the others are showing other miscellaneous sports channels.

So, I smudged the apartment today.  This was my first smudge.  One night when I couldn't sleep and I was laying in bed thinking about bed bugs and roaches and snakes and ghosts and stuff, I thought it would be a good idea to smudge the apartment so that we would feel more at home there.

For anyone who doesn't know what smudging is, it's a native american tradition of burning white sage to purify or clarify a place or one's state of mind.  Sage is used in sweat lodges and stuff. So, it was funny, because when I thought of it, I wondered, where do I get the sage bundle?  I don't know where the hippie new age or smoke shops and stuff are here.  So I was like, what do I google, hippie new age shop?  I think I tried that, to no result.   So, when we were at Whole Foods this morning in the checkout line buying some stuff that we didn't even eat yet, it dawned on me - they have to have sage bundles at Whole Foods, duh!  So, I actually found it right away.

So, I went home and I smudged the hell out of the place....literally.  I lit it in the living room and then I left it in the bedroom on the nightstand.  I came back later and it was out.  I lit it again and put it on the dresser where the air wouldn't blow on it, so it smoldered a little longer.

Do I feel better about the place?  Yeah, I think so.  We spent a lot of time today in the apartment.  I put a bunch of sheets and blankets on the gross couch.  It was fine.  It wasn't the greatest experience in an apartment on Thanksgiving Day that we ever had.  But, it was good.  There was a nice breeze.  We left the apartment door open all day that opens to the patio.  It let a little light in.  Stinky got to sit on the chair by the screen and look outside all day.  The Fuzz...well, she was The Fuzz.

So I'm thankful for friends and family and all that stuff that obviously we are all thankful for.  But I'm also thankful for the chance to make a new start of our life.  A great start.  An amazing new life.  We can do it.  Rah rah rah, sis boom bah!  Man how the hell do those cheerleaders keep that big ass smile on for  all four quarters.  I guess I gotta figure it out.  Can't be my old Negative Nelly self....

I do wish that baby would stop his high pitched squeals though.

2 comments:

  1. hi fh - glad you and the fp made it safe to florida! happy late thanksgiving!

    i didn't know it was called 'smudging'. my co-worker did that to her office. one bitch of a co-worker moved to another school so my friend took that office because it was bigger. not only did she burn sage, she also sprinkled holy water because the former bitch co-worker was evil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, CC. The holy water is a nice "supplement" to the sage! I hope you guys had a good Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete