Search This Blog

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 3 Drive Coast To Coast

So, it's 1:17am, but really my body says it's 11:17pm.  Either way, I am tired.  We went to bed fairly late last night, and we overslept an hour - but I still only got about hours sleep at best.

So, the FP was edgy and impatient from being behind schedule.   I was cranky from being awaken abruptly and being expected to move and think fast before I was allowed to wake up and have coffee.  I've said it before, I am a big baby without enough sleep and especially when I am abruptly woken up from a deep sleep.

Anyway, I never checked the tire pressure before we left for our coast to coast drive.  Stupid.  But I just kept forgetting.   And I hadn't checked the oil since right before we left.   I remembered while we were in the long and slow Starbucks drive thru line.  The FP was not happy.  So, of course, it was a pain in the ass to get back to a gas station.  But we did, so I started to check the tires.  They all could use air, they definitely were on the low side for all the weight we were carrying.  Probably would have saved us a few bucks.

So then we got on the road.  The FP asked for some Alleve.  I asked if he knew where it was.  He didn't.  He held his hand out expectantly while I madly scrounged around the crowded car looking.  Then he remembered.  It was under the driver seat in a container with change.  So I had to move all this shit to get to it.  I threw some bag.  The FP asked, are you mad?  So, I gave him his Alleve.  And yeah, I was mad.  I was cranky.  Everyone in the car was cranky, even Stinky.

So, I tried to sleep, but I couldn't breathe.  My sinuses were congested, and the generic claritin d was in the back of the car where I could not reach it.  So, I just tried to breathe.  It was very tiring and annoying.  I had to wait until we stopped to get the meds.  It was a quiet ride, but none of us (all four of us) seemed like talking much.

The drive was long and tiring and never ending.  And then it was trafficky and windy and just way more annoying than the previous day.  But, then, we finally started to see signs that Louisiana was approaching.  More and more cajun food.  But it seemed to take forever to get to Louisiana.  At some point we did finally get there.  At one place, we stopped to pee and to switch drivers.  Chevron.  There was a sign that mentioned boudin.  So I was looking for it.  The cashier asked me what I was looking for.  I said sausage.  So she reached into a crock pot and retrieved a foil wrapped tube meat.  So, we got in the car, and I unwrapped it to discover it was like andouille or a similar smoked sausage.  Oh well, it was still delicious.  And then, that kind of got us more excited for the drive to New Orleans.

Finally, we got into town, and we got into the hotel.  It was Staybridge Suites.  While it's not one of those charming hotels oozing with New Orleans character, they do allow pets for a low fee, and it's cheaper than other places we looked into.  And we didn't really want to stay right in the quarter.  So it was perfect.  Clean, big enough for the four of us, so much better than the night before.  It was great.

So, we unpacked/organized, got the cats set up, had a beer, then our friends picked us up for dinner.  We had a pleasant time at Jackson's on Magazine street, then we went to Tracey's to watch the last half of the NFL game.  Our other friend showed up, we shot the shit, next thing I knew, it was 12:30 and the FP was shitfaced.  So.....New Orleans.  So, I assisted him to the car, and our friend dropped us off.  He's in bed snoring away peacefully, while I'm here at the desk, writing this blog.  Boy am I tired, but everyone seems relaxed now.  None of us had gone #2, but a while after we checked into the hotel, the FP and I both went.  The cats have only just #1ed, but hopefully soon, they will #2, as it will relax them.  I know it relaxed me when I went!

No comments:

Post a Comment