Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Day Two Drive From Coast to Coast

So, here we are in San Antonio, Texas.  In an Econolodge a bit on the outskirts of the city.

I spent almost an hour and a half trying to figure out what hotels in the area were pet friendly.  So, I went online on the iphone, and let me tell you, the internets is not always as reliable as you think.  So, there were allegedly a bunch of upscale hotels in the riverwalk area that are pet friendly, but that's not in our budget.  So, then I found a couple like Best Western and such that touted being pet friendly.  So I called, and no.  False advertising.  I called a La Quinta downtown.  That place is pet friendly.  So the guy started to take my reservation, and wouldn't you know, dropped call.

So, anyway, we were driving on the outskirts, and there were plenty of hotels with lots of conveniences around.  We thought about exiting by one particular area, but we missed the exit.  So, that's when we saw another La Quinta.  But there were more hotels on the other side of the street, so we thought we would try that side first.  So, Days Inn didn't look too bad, but no pets.  Econolodge shared the same parking lot, so we figured we would try it.  I walked into the office, and there was a sign saying the pet fee is $15.  Not the most ideal place, but we knew it took pets and we were tired.  So we took it.

There was a BBQ joint right in front of the motel, but stupid us, it closed at 9 pm, so we missed out!  Anyway, I will discuss that on the food blog.  So, it is windy as hell and cold here.  I don't like it.  We had to go in the  big ole Walmart (because everything is bigger in Texas) to buy beer, and it was hot and stuffy in there.  It had high ceilings, lots of aisle space, it was a warehouse, yet they seemed to have the heat cranked up to the point that I felt like I would have to throw up or pass out.

So, yeah.  Sitting here writing this blog drinking a Ziegen Bock amber, whatever that is.  I am ready to exit Texas, but we still have several more hours.  But after that it's on to our beloved Louisiana.  :)

Today the cats were pretty quiet.  Of course when we took The Fuzz out to the car this morning, she was meowing so loudly it was echoing through the carpeted hallway.  In the car, she mostly kept quiet, but every once in a while if one of us looked at her she would quietly meow.  I opened her carrier for a bit, but she just sat there without moving.  I let Stinksy out, and he sat on my lap most of the time.  Of course, he eventually wanted to get in the sweet spot of the car to all cats - the space under the driver's feet!  I kept him out of there though.  Eventually, he just lay down on the back seat right next to The Fuzz's carrier.

Anyway, parts of the drive were pretty, El Paso was cool, and the plateaus were pretty, but it does feel like a never ending drive.  What I can say, is I definitely can tell I'm in another part of the country.   We needed gas and a pee, so we exited one of the first exits that we saw for about 50 miles.  There was a sign for Chevron there.  So we exited, and the sign said to go down the road 2 miles.  Two miles!  So, we did.  And this crappy little Chevron was about half a mile from the other gas stations, that were off the second exit.  So, kind of to spite the 2 mile from the exit Chevron, we went to another place, called Stripes.  Let me tell you, the place had all stripes and all colors... cars that is.  There were weird old cars and remodeled old muscle cars and red jettas and diesel pickup trucks and saturns and hybrid cars.  Weird.  Just strange because it was a tiny little town and it seemed like everyone that lived there was getting gas at the same time.

Well, as the FP says, there's no turning back now!

No comments:

Post a Comment