Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2011

No Turning Back

So, like every time we do something that has to do with moving, the FP says, "Well, I guess there's no turning back now."  Needless to say, he's said that about 20 times.  But it's kinda now just a thing he does - like how he says, "That was the best lunch I've ever had" after every lunch.  People, one of the keys to staying young is to become a live caricature of yourself!

Anyway, in the way of furniture, we are down to the desk that this computer is on, the 2 IKEA end tables that we will get rid of when we leave, 2 more little IKEA tables that we will also dispose of, and our mattress, which we moved onto the living room floor.  The futon is hanging out outside, waiting for someone, ANYONE to take it.  I put an ad on craigslist, for the futon, for free, and a lot of people have responded.  But then, no one seems to follow through.  It is free, so just take the damn thing already!  Ok, it's very fucked up, but it's perfect for the front porch, the back porch, the den, the game room, the dingy guest room, the frat house rape room, the play room, the cat room, hell, somewhere where transient people stay.

So, less furniture than a college dorm room.  Needless to say, the cats are FREAKED OUT!!!!!
Like, every time today when they would be walking around, one of us would happen to be going where the cat was going.  So, it would seem one of us was chasing a cat with a box or a hammer or something scary.  And then, the FP kept knocking shit over.  Mainly the mop and/or broom.  Now I understand how some parents use food to comfort kids.  Shaking the treat bag was the only way to get the cats to come out and relax, even if only for a couple minutes.

But, I have to tell you about something very special that The Fuzz did last night, when the futon was still in the living room.  So, we were on the futon.  I was watching TV, but the FP was already snoring. Stinky came up and sprawled out on the futon next to my head in the corner.  That is where the Fuzz has taken to sleeping lately.  So, at one point, The Fuzz jumped up on the futon and padded right up to Stinksy (we actually call him Stinky on a day to day basis) and started licking him.  Then she chomped him on the neck.  He attacked back, and they jumped down and chased each other for about 15 seconds.  Then The Fuzz jumped back on the futon and took her rightful place on the corner of the futon by my head.

Do you understand how, uncharacteristically ballsy that was of her?  This is the girl cat who gets scared of... of the feather wand toy!  It's amazing!  It was such a breakthrough, and then today just knocked her back down the ladder of progress..... *sigh*

So, I had this idea like years ago to transcribe all the high school notes and college letters I could find that my friends wrote to me.  Unfortunately, I threw a lot away.  But I asked my friends if they had any. Almost everyone did not.  Except for BFF.  Her mom was always going through her stuff and reading it and throwing things away, so, I think whatever BFF could salvage was very precious to her.  As I think any old personal correspondence is.  So, BFF had sent me these letters a long time ago, but I had never transcribed them.  So, I figured, I should get it done before I moved, so I could send them back.  I didn't want to be responsible for them getting lost in the move.

That was weird.  Reading all that old stuff.  I think, that it might be publishable.  There are letters from one person about some piece of gossip, and then there will be another letter from another party involved in the gossip.  So you get different points of view.  Really cool.  And so.... youthful.  It totally brought me back in time to places that I would not want to go back to, but that I appreciate.  Interesting stuff.  Hopefully, one day,  you will be able to read this shit.  Maybe you will find it trite and boring.  Or maybe it will seem universal to you.  I don't know.  But, I think these people we were friends with were such talented letter writers.  And yes, that is totally a talent.  I really don't know if it's a skill that kids today have not learned... just the act of writing on paper seems so much more personal, and sensual than texting a text or posting on someone's facebook wall... you know?  I'm sure that's what the old people said about the way we communicated when we were young.

Anyway, that's all for tonight.  I think I will do a "remember when" post tomorrow.  So please feel free to remind me of that... comment on my blog, on my facebook wall, send me a text, send me an email, or just flash it on the big screen at any major sporting event!

No comments:

Post a Comment