Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What is wrong with this picture?



So, I bought a replacement battery set for my flip video camera.  Supposedly, I will be able to recharge the battery when the camera is attached to the usb port.  It's just two batteries shrink wrapped together with some stuff stuck inbetween that I guess makes it rechargeable.  Anyway, I got it from Amazon.com, and the above picture is how it was packaged.  So, the white box is the battery.  There is an air pillow cushion and the invoice.  That's it.  This would have fit in the smallest padded envelope, but maybe it's cheaper to ship it in a big empty box.  Or maybe Amazon.com is just wasteful and doesn't care.  Or maybe there is some business deal with the box company or UPS or something?  I have no idea.

But I do know that every time I have come home and a package was dropped off, it is left on the front porch with the doormat placed on top of it.  I'm not sure if that is in case it rains or because there is nothing on the porch so it looks inconspicuous or what.  And I wonder if it's the same one lady that does it, or if it's a company policy.  But it's pretty interesting.  When the lawnmower arrived, it wasn't hidden under the mat of course, because it was too big, and if it rained the box would have still gotten wet.  It's like trying to hide an elephant behind a Mini Cooper.

But why such a big box for a little tiny battery?  And why even bother putting the one loose air pillow in there?  The battery could still rattle around the box around the thing.  If the pony express still existed this waste of packaging and shipping space would never happen.  Because pony saddlebags can only hold so much stuff in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment