Search This Blog

Saturday, February 18, 2012

I'm not a huge fan of Saturdays

I think working in the service industry for so long has ruined me for Saturdays.

Sure, there's lots of stuff going on on any given Saturday.  But that means there are a lot of people going to this stuff going on.  A lot.  Like take for instance, this Saturday.  We decided to go to the tiki bar that we went to on the FP's birthday.  So, we went to park in the public parking lot across from the tiki bar, and it was full.  And there was traffic.  So, we had to drive to the other bigger parking garage down the street.  And we had to drive up to the fifth floor to find an open space.

But, I've gotta say, the view from the parking garage was spectacular.  It looked out onto the beach and the ocean.  It didn't look like the weekday mornings Hollywood Beach that I was used to seeing from the ground.  That was the most amazing parking garage that I didn't have to pay for.  Well, I paid for a yearly parking pass, I guess.

Anyway, one of the things that always bothered me about going to the beach was the effort it took to get to the beach through traffic, then to park, then to walk across the parking lot to the beach.  The nice thing about living here is that we can just go to the beach, park and we're there.  Except for today.  Not that it was anything like trying to find a space at Mission Beach at the same time of day, which would have taken maybe half an hour.

There have been so many times in the last year, when we have been deciding what to do, and everything is shot down because... "it's Saturday though, it'll be packed."

I like all the things that are going on during the weekend, but I don't want to deal with all the people that are doing all those things.  Unless they were all likeminded people, of course.  So, like, if it's seeing live music or going to an Oktoberfest, then there's probably likeminded people.  In both cases there will be drinking.  In one case, hopefully good music.  In the other case, hopefully good food.

So, we just came back from hanging out at a dive bar in South Beach.  Our friend is in town for the weekend.  He used to live there, so we went to his old local.  So, there were a lot of people driving into town along with us.  But, somehow, we ended up with a pretty sweet parking spot.  And then, the bar was almost empty.  Until the Dirty 30 bar crawl came it.  Then it was loud and packed with drunk people.  What one would expect at any decent bar on a Saturday night.  Not the TV and movie South Beach scene, mind you, more of a normal people kind of crowd.  But, they were getting a little annoying.  They were crowding in from all sides.  I hate when someone comes and stands at the bar next to my chair, but they lean against the side.  So, then, I can't fully sit back in my chair, unless I want to be touching their butt with my hip.  Which, I did not.

It was funny though.  There was one guy at the corner of the bar by himself.  He had come in before the crowd.  The crowd had taken over and left him no personal space of his own.  Yet he just sat there, seemingly unbothered.

There was also a guy who walked in after the crowd started gathering at the bar.  This guy sat at a table by himself.  He appeared to be writing in a little journal.  He also seemed unflustered by the crowd.  Interesting.  I guess I'm just like a cranky old person.  I don't like loud noise and crowds unless I'm in the middle of the action taking part in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment