Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Now I've Seen It All

So, I've heard of people owning foxes, chimps, coyotes, snakes, spiders, buffalo, wolves, lions, and even a tiger in New York.  But I've never heard of people owning ring tailed lemurs.

Until today.  Now - I've seen it all.  And I don't have a picture to prove it.

I went to South Beach to turn in a resume.  It was the afternoon.  So, it took about 40 minutes to get there.  Not a very successful interview.  But, I was walking to the car, and I looked ahead of me, and there was a lemur.  A ring tailed lemur.  Sitting on a guy's shoulder.  A lemur in Miami.  Wearing a black panty.  And she (I think it was a she) seemed fine to sit and look around.

So, I guess it's legal to have a lemur.   Just look at all these ads.

http://www.hoobly.com/0/2602/0/ 



Here's an "objective" article about getting a lemur

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/lemurs-as-pets.html


I guess the question is, who are the bad people who stole the first lemurs and started breeding them to sell as pets?  I love lemurs.  But they are endangered, and I don't want to see them go extinct.

It was a cute lemur.  And maybe it's a happy lemur.  But it's not right, is it?

Okay, so, I did want a fox.  I mean two foxes.  Russian silver foxes.  But those are a little different.  A scientist started breeding them as a genetic experiment.  According to Wikipedia, after the red curtain came down, the experiment was underfunded, and they tried to keep the project going by selling the foxes.  So, I could talk myself into thinking that I was helping a science project, and rehoming foxes that can't be reintroduced into the wild.

But I'm pretty sure whoever is breeding the lemurs hasn't worked on 50 years of domestication.

No comments:

Post a Comment