Search This Blog

Saturday, January 28, 2012

LOL

Found at Pubix (Homestead)


Date: 2012-01-28, 3:22PM EST
Reply to: comm-tj9yr-2822949767@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

image 0This beautiful puppy was found in the Publix parking lot in Homestead. He looks to be about a year old, very friendly. He looks like a cross between a presacanario and/or pitbull/American bulldog.

  • Location: Homestead
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests


It's funny because when I was a kid we used to call  Publix - Pubics because it was funny.  You know, like the way we say Tar-shjay instead of Target.



So.... hm... I don't really have anything planned to write about.  Surprise surprise.

So, Thursday night, we got to see the final dress rehearsal for the opera Rigoletto.  If you don't know the opera, you at least know one song from it, "la donna e mobile."  If that name doesn't sound familiar, just google it and listen to it.  Everyone knows that song, or the tune, rather, to the song.

Anyhoo, we have decided to become high society down here in South Florida.  We became friends of the Florida Grand Opera.



Yeah, right.  My BFF used to work there.  But now she has a much cooler job working for the Blue Man Group in Las Vegas.  But, her proteges are still there.  So, one of them posted on facebook (yes, facebook again) that she had some tickets if anyone wanted to go.  So, we wanted to go.

Before we went in to the theater, we had an expensive cocktail in the lobby.  Then it was about time to go in, so we scrambled to find seats.  It was general admission, so we kind of screwed ourselves by lollygagging in the lobby, and we had to go way high up to the third or fourth tier.  Which is fine if you have bionic hearing and eyesight.  For you kids who who didn't live in the 70s, and who didn't see the 2007 "reimagining" of the series (I don't think anyone saw that, though), bionic hearing and eyesight mean superhuman hearing and eyesight.  Why didn't I just use the word superhuman in the first place?  Maybe I got a hankering for old 70s TV shows.  They were my friends.  The Bionic Woman, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Jeffersons, The Waltons, What's Happening, Little House on The Prairie, Mash, Happy Days, Three's Company... I'm sure there's more.

Anywoy,  raht, raht, where were we?  Oh, at the opera.  So, you know, we were in the nosebleed section.  And it wasn't loud enough and the characters were just tiny people far away, so we couldn't glean their expressions, although we could imagine them.  But we really enjoyed it.  Good sets, good sets of pipes, good musicians and a good conductor too.

It was a very dark and self defeating kind of story.  Just the kind of stuff I'm into.  You know, (spoiler alert!) "I've been cursed by the man that I humiliated, and now my daughter is in love with my horrible boss, and I must kill him to rectify the situation, and woe is me, because of the curse, I paid a man who murdered my daughter instead of her lover.  Woe is me."  It's kind of like watching an episode of Frasier, when the whole time, you're screaming, "Don't do it!"  or "Just tell her the truth!"  or "Just suck it up already and do it!"  Am I putting an opera on the same level as a TV sitcom?  Yes, I am.  They both have a lengthy planning process, varying budget, lots of people behind the scenes, and big ego prima donna actors who play the leading roles.

Anyway, if you ever get a chance to go see an opera, do it.






No comments:

Post a Comment