Search This Blog

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Let's add to the list of stuff I thought I'd never buy

Screen door hardware
 
So, our lanai has 3 screen doors.  Don't ask me why.  For a quick emergency exit if there's a party?  Anyway, of all three of the doors, all three of them are fucked up.  Two of them have issues with the handles.  If you walk out of them, you won't be able to get back in those two, as the locking mechanism is worn out.  The other door has hinge issues.  The screws in the top hinge were not really in tight.  They eventually fell out the back.  So, in frustration, I took the screws out.  And now, the bottom screws have come out.  So I took those out.  So, that door is out of commission.  And then all the screen doors slam. I tried to screw in the adjusting screw, and either the doors would stay open, or they would take forever to close, and then slam at the end.

So, I bought one repair kit to see how successful it would be before buying another.  I got home a little after 5, so I wanted to get the door handle installed before the sun went down.  Which would have been no problem, if I didn't have to cut the end off the spindle off.  I couldn't quite get it with the metal cutting pliers, so finally the FP got it with the pruning lopper.  So, we finally got the handle on, but of course the strike plate needed to be replaced.  So, that's for tomorrow.


Tree Pruning Lopper


You know, like, big pruning shears.  I didn't even know what they were called.  I do remember my dad had the same pair for all my life.  And I remember they were dull.

So, I mean, I started getting into gardening a couple years ago.  I took empty Bustelo cans and planted some herbs, a tomato plant and a serrano plant in them.  And I had catnip too.  My plan was to put them into a big planter on our apartment landing when they got bigger, but they all died except for the serrano.  Although it never grew any peppers after the first time.

But, to have a front yard with an oak tree, and a back yard with palm trees - I never necessarily expected that.  And I didn't expect to need the lopper.  But, the FP thought the palm trees needed some maintenance, so we bought a lopper.


Bricks


So, yesterday, after we ran errands, the FP discovered that we had a backyard visitor.  A dog had dug under the front of the fence and ran around in the yard, dug in the dirt next to our newly planted avocado tree, and then squeezed out the back gate.

So, today, when I was at Home Depot, I walked by the concrete blocks and bricks.  And I thought that bricks would be good to put in the gap between the fence and the ground.  So, I bought 8, knowing I probably needed at least twice as many.  Bricks.  Who buys them unless you're the third little pig?  I thought they were just things you find on the side of the road discarded from someone's home project.


Bathroom Sink Drain Pipes


So, the second bathroom needs some work.  I figured how to take the the faucet handle off the shower to make the water hotter, but I don't think I made it hot enough.  And it's a pain to take the handle off.  But the more daunting project is the sink.  It had a leak when we moved it, and the best idea seemed to be to just replace the whole assembly.  And we bought the stuff.  But, almost a month later, we haven't even made an attempt to replace it.  We don't exactly need the sink right now, so we haven't done it.  Although I'm hoping to get to it tomorrow, hopefully.  Although, I need to finish the one screen door first.  I hate starting a project and not being able to finish it all at once.  If I don't, then there's a threat that it will never be complete.  That's just how it is.......

No comments:

Post a Comment