Search This Blog

Friday, October 21, 2011

Men Are Funnier Than Women, Funnier Looking

So, I don't want to start getting all academic on you, but I think I was supposed to be some kind of teacher or professor, or a zoologist.  Anyhoo, I was driving to the tire store this morning to get two back tires.  So, I was listening to the 94.9 Mikey show, and they were talking about an article about a study done at UCSD.  The object was to find out if men were funnier than women.  Obviously, that is an objective subject, right?

  UCSD study  Here's the link.

Anyway, the test subjects were undergrads.  16 males and 16 females were told to write captions for New Yorker cartoons, and then other students rated which anonymous captions were funnier.  So men (are college boys really men though?) were found to be .11 more points funnier than women (whores, sorry, girls).  What does that even mean?

The radio personalities started exploring further the general assumption that men are thought to be funnier than women.  So, I think Mikey was saying how humor is like a muscle that needs to be exercised and men exercise their muscles more than women.  Well, men tend to exercise their genital muscles more, so it would be consistent that they exercise their comedic muscles more as well?   It sucked because I was driving in the car.  Being a resident of California means that talking on the phone and driving is illegal unless it's hands free.  So, I couldn't call 94.9 and weigh in my heavy opinion on the subject.

I personally think one component that makes someone funny more than their gender is the presence of pain or trauma in one's life.  I think I've blogged about this before: how many perfectly happy people with a wonderful childhood are hilarious?

So, men are generalized as not being as sensitive as women and sublimating their feelings rather than talking about it.  Women are generalized as being all open and always wanting to talk about feelings.  So, less open men who stuff their true feeling down probably let it spurt out in funny ways.  So people who have had a traumatic childhood and haven't reconciled themselves with their past may relieve the pressure by being hilarious.  The darker the underlying turmoil, the funnier the person.  Need I site any comedians who died of drug overdoses? Well, it doesn't matter.  This isn't a scientific journal, and I don't feel like citing my references.  Plus it's really late at night.

So let's bring this topic back to me.  After all, that's mostly what I blog about - myself.  I'm so full of myself.  Yet at the same time I despise myself.

I think I have blogged about the fact that I was born a female, but I was supposed to be born a male.  So, like, I don't like girls, but some of my traits are more boylike.  In my younger years I was in fact often mistaken for a boy, which was always upsetting.  I also was very hairy when I was puberty age.  My arms and knuckles were very hairy.  One time in junior high, in class, a boy pointed out how I had hairy knuckles.  That was embarrassing.  Now, my knuckles and arms are not as hairy, which is relieving.

Anyhoo,  I had a very horrible nightmarish childhood, and I've been dealing with (or not dealing with) family issues all my life.  These issues are so weighing on my personality that I had to start blogging about that shit too in my third blog.

So, here's my equation:

(male-like) tendency to hold emotions in  +  painful childhood  =  hilarious Food Ho

Okay, maybe "hilarious" is an overstatement.  But, I think I'm fairly witty and amusing at the very least.  I'm not necessarily known as being as funny as I really am because of one factor.  The Food Pimp.  My louder, larger personality, more charismatic other half.  He also tends to hold emotions in (until they come gushing out usually after the application of alcohol) and he is male.  So, I don't stand a chance when I'm next to him.  Often, when we're in a group and I crack a joke, no one hears it but the FP.  So, he will repeat it, and he will get gales of laughter.  Usually though, he will credit me with the joke, but that still diminishes my credentials for humor, because my delivery with my screechy voice was off.

Also, my humor is much more on the darker side, with lots of curse words, which I've noticed makes some people uncomfortable and totally offends others.  The FP's humor has totally evolved to have more of a mainstream appeal, due to all the cooking classes that he has "taught" over the years.

So, you want me to end with some joke or some funny statement, right?  Man, I feel a lot of pressure.  I will say I'm a lot funnier the more intoxicated you are.  So, go get some beer, liquor, wine, malt liquor, moonshine, medical marijuana or whatever.  I'll wait...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Okay, here's all I've got.  It's really late at night, as I mentioned before.  The only reason I'm up this late is because we have a minor crisis on our hands.  But I'm not going to talk about that right now.  I'm just going to stuff it down for now like some dirty wet cotton candy.

The FP's band had their cd release party tonight.  So the bass player and the drummer both had the diarrhea or loose stool or had to go poop a lot or something.  So, someone asked what happened that they both got it.  So the bass player said the last time he saw the drummer he drank from his water and next thing he knew he had the shits.  So everyone laughed a little.  So I waited until the laughter stopped and I said, I thought it was from all the anal sex.  Big laughs.  The guitar player pointed out how I had impeccable timing.

Score .2 points for the ladies!!!

Anyway, it fucking later than a booty call, and I got to get up relatively early tomorrow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment