Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Rainy Coldness

So, the forecast for this past weekend was a cold (cool) front coming in and rain.  I guess it was a little slow in coming because it here it is.  But I guess it will be gone tomorrow, well the rain will be gone.  It will still be cool.  It was a sleepy day.  The cats have been snoozing away all day, and I might have taken an afternoon nap...which I felt guilty for because I didn't even go jogging this morning. {cramps}  But, I did need to mail the rent check, so I had to walk to the mailbox store and buy stamps.  Of course, on the way home, I did stop at 7-11 and get a Twix and a smores ice cream sandwich.  

Yesterday, my fellow food blogger, Canine Cologne took me to lunch, and she gave me a gift bag of cool stuff - a creative cursing book, a bottle of garlic spice from the "garlic capital of the world", Gilroy, CA, vindaloo spice mix, and Pocky Sticks.  So, I ate one pack of sticks in like 3 minutes yesterday afternoon.  Then I ate the other pack late at night.  I read once on an insomnia website that having a little sugar before bedtime was helpful.  Does one pack of Pocky Sticks qualify as "a little"?

Anyway, so back at 7-11, I stood looking at the candy for a couple minutes trying to decide which chocolatey thing did I want, the best quality chocolate, which was a boring smooth Dove bar, or something with other texture going on.  I almost grabbed the king size Twix, but why subject myself to that.  After all this is not necessary sustenance!  Totally unnecessary.  And I didn't exercise today.  I blame the weather, because it's easier than blaming myself.  I did go home down E street though, which is 2 big hills, so that was some exercise, right?  Boy did I scarf those two Twix bars down. 

So, then, I got on the computer after washing my hands to make sure I didn't smear the computer with chocolate and caramel, and I realized that I should have gotten nail clippers.  The old ones kept falling apart, and the last time I tried to use them, they fell into the garbage.  

Normally, I would have fished them out, but it was full, and I think there was food and cat poo poo pee pee litter and stuff.  So that was the end of those clippers.  It was maddening as a kid using my parents' nail clippers.  They had the same one or two clippers for years and years and years.  I mean from when I could first remember to past when I graduated from....high school, college maybe.  So, obviously, they were very dull.  

One time when my parents went to Europe, they came back and brought my sisters and I these nice Henckels manicure kits.  They were in these leather cases with a leaf design on it.  It was very thoughtful, and we used them.  Of course, my kit began to start missing stuff.  I'm not going to blame anyone, but I have always been anal about putting stuff like that back where it belonged.  Because I would get in trouble when I was little for misplacing the scissors. The dull scissors.  Clearly, they were supposed to go in the messy cabinet above where the phone was in the kitchen.  Anyway, my treasured manicure kit ended up only having like a cuticle stick that I never used, and the clippers, which were messed up.  The spring broke, and the sharp edge had nicks in it from cutting guitar strings.  The kit ended up being a guitar kit.  I'm not sure if it's still floating around in a backpack somewhere or it's finally gone for good.  That's why we can't have nice things.

So, I went back out in the spitting rain, more like whiffling rain.  I went down E street to the corner market.  So, this corner market used to be owned by these middle eastern brothers.  I can't remember whether they were Iranian or Iraqi.  Anyway, the prices there were ridiculous, and since they didn't sell lottery tickets there I barely ever went in.  So all of a sudden, one day, the place didn't open.  It wasn't too weird at 12 pm when it wasn't open.  Sometimes, if they had been up partying all night, they might open late.  But then they were not open at all.  The next day, everything except was removed from the floor, and they were taking out the flooring.  We figured they must have had a violation and were forced to remodel.  So, the floor was being done, and the outside was painted.  Then the floor plan was rearranged,  and the shelving units were different.  And then the place opened, and it was new owners.  Mexicans.  And the prices were cheaper.  

So, today was actually my first time in there.  The warped doppler effect door sensor was the same.  It starts at a high pitch and bends low, then finishes in the middle.  Anyway, I walked in, and the guy said hi.  I looked around.  It seemed sparse.  So I asked him if he had nail clippers.  And he pushes the plastic container towards me - "like these?"  Perfect.  So I grab one, "that's all."  "$1.07"  So, I give him two dollars out of my stomach zipper pocket of my Paul Frank thrift store hoodie.  He asks if I have change.  Which I don't.  So he hands me a dollar back.  What a nice guy.  I'll be back.  So, I walked back up E street.  That's a little exercise for the day, right?  4 times going up and down a hill?  

So, I went home and cut my nails straight away.  It was nice.  Effortless.  Usually, with dull clippers it hurts to cut my nails because they are thick.  This was nice.  

So, now, should I eat dinner or do I want that Smores ice cream sandwich first?

No comments:

Post a Comment