Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Getting Rid of the Old

So, in our attempt to start our new life and shed the old, we are shedding materials.  We already went through all our clothes and gave 5 bags to Goodwill along with our stereo receiver.  I sold the Bose speakers to a nice Filipina.  I'm trying to sell our square bookshelf, but no bites.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of bookshelves on craigslist, so I'll probably have to lower the price or give it away.  As long as I don't have to physically carry it out of here, I'll be satisfied.

Right now I am wiping the hard drive of our old desktop computer.  We are giving it to our friend.  So, it's amazing how quick it is to erase all the data files, but it takes 3 times as long to reset it.  It's such a weird big old monster, but it still works, and it will run much faster with no data on it it start.

We also are getting rid of the "credenza".  It's not quite a credenza, but we like to call it that.  It's pretty cool, but the base got a little fucked up when we moved from New Orleans.  Still it's got this ornate carving in the doors.  We basically use it as a hall table to put stuff like change and pens and hairspray on, and in the cabinets was all our fancy wedding presents that we don't use much like lead crystal vases and platters.  Oh, and also envelopes and the apartment lease, which we refer to when writing the envelope for our rent check.  I used to have such a good memory about remembering phone numbers, addresses and account numbers, but my memory is shot.  I can never remember the landlady's address.

Sadly, we are also getting rid of our beloved World Market dining room table.  We barely ever actually dine at it, because it usually has a bunch of crap on it.  Oh, also it's where Pete "lives".  It's pretty heavy, and the top needs to be refinished, so we decided it's served us well, but it's time to move on.  I really don't even know if we actually need a dining room table....

The only piece of furniture we are keeping is this black and metal Ikea shelving unit.  It's kind of flimsy, but it's still nice and functional, and it's light and easy to break down too.  Everything else is going, but we can't get rid of most of it until later, or we will be sitting on the floor, putting our stuff on the floor, and laying on the floor too.  And with all the ants that we can't seem to get rid of, no thank you.  I mean, they can still climb up the furniture, but they tend to go solo on it, not in a single file trail that extends for a few feet.

We are keeping the cats, although, I don't want to think about what it will be like taking them on a 40 hour total road trip.  The Fuzz has never travelled any farther than from Del Mar to North Park.  And let me tell you, she did not handle that well at all.  She cried the whole way home.  The whole way.  That was like a 15 - 20 minute ride.

We are getting rid of Pete, the fish, probably just put him in a freshwater pond somewhere nearby, maybe at Balboa Park.

Obviously, I kid.  Our friends are going to take him, along with our sad plants that need some love.  I would like to take Pete, but I don't think he would like the feeling of being in a bowl full of vibrating water for 16 hours a day.  He is so spunky and full of personality, so we are sad to be leaving him.  I think Stinksy will miss him, and he will miss Stinksy as well.  They are like playmates now, ever since I built to protective lean to to put over Pete's tank.  Pete will swim up and down around the front of the tank and Stinksy will paw at the tank trying to catch him.  And then Stinksy will sometimes just sit or lie there in front of the tank, and they will stare at each other for hours.  I noticed that Pete naps a lot more during the day.  I think that Stinksy keeps him up at night.

I started packing our pictures that were hanging on the walls, so the spaces where there were things hanging look so bare.  But, I figure I should pack what I can.  I also packed most of the newer matching plates and a lot of the glasses.  It's weird because all of the plates that are left out are mismatching, and a lot of them were plates that were left in our last apartment, as is some of the silverware.

It's a strange transitional period, but it's leading us to an exciting new adventure.  At least that's what we keep trying to tell ourselves.  So if you live in the area and you want any of our furniture, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment