Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

why I hate making groceries

So, I'm feeling under the weather, and I'm convinced it's from Sunday.  We were at the South Park Abbey for hours watching football.  The chef had fired up the BBQ with lots of lighter fluid and lots of smoke.  Lots and lots of smoke.  Usually we sit at the bar, but our friends met us there, so we sat at a high table behind the bar, close to the door to the patio where the smoker was.  I know I always say how we don't have friends, but we are leaving in less than three weeks, so now is the crunch time to spend quality time with the few friends we do have.  Did I mention we were there for hours?  I'm aging.  If we had been at a bar with backless bar stools, or worse yet, we would have had to stand for 5 or 6 hours, I wouldn't have been able to endure it.  Anyway, the point is, I was inhaling all that damn smoke.  So, my chest has been feeling tighter than usual, and I felt rundown.  On Monday night and Tuesday, I had that icky brillo pad in my throat feeling.  Today, I just feel light headed and like I have to sit up straight to breathe properly.

All that setup to tell you about my trip to the store.  So, I basically wanted some tea and yogurt.  So, I went to the store.  Being kind of under the weather, I definitely didn't want to go, but I wanted that tea to break up the tightness in my chest.

So, I am a horrible shopper.  I will stand in front of the dish soap for way too long trying to pick one.  Luckily, the FP had asked for Dawn.  However, there are so many different "flavors" that it was a little overwhelming.  If this dish soap were for me, I probably would have bought the homelife brand.  But, I bought the Dawn.  They were all the same price, so that part was easy.  I ended up with the "overnight soaking power" flavor.  Occasionally there are pots that are like several night soakers.  Which reminded me, there was a dutch oven (he he) sitting with water in it for days!  So, I took a break from writing this to clean it out and oil it and put it in the oven to season it.

Anyhoo, getting back to why I don't like grocerying.  I hate people like me who are indecisive.  And worse, I hate people like me who are wandering around clueless, taking their time, blocking the aisles. But maybe even worse are the people who are chatting on their phone, slowly walking down the middle of the aisle so no one can go around them.  And the people who slowly walk to the check out in a way that you can't get around them, so that they beat you there.  Oh, and then the people who wait in the self check line, and they won't go to an open register if the light above it is not on, when clearly the register looks to be functioning properly.  Those people are really annoying, but I don't always say anything, because I know I'm going to say it in a nasty way.

And I hate when a certain item doesn't have a proper upc code, and even though I know how much something is, the cashier makes some bag person do a price check anyway.

Anyway, I got my tea and my yogurt, and I also got some of that bulk "trail mix" from the organic aisle.  It's dumb, but I trick myself into believing that the trail mix with the dried fruit, nuts, chocolate, yogurt covered raisins, yogurt covered peanuts and yogurt covered banana chips are healthier than candy bars.  Well, some of it is candy!  But, it so much more satisfying to eat a few handfuls of trail mix than to eat a homogenous candy bar.  I like variety.  In large quantities.  The trail mix made the trip worth all the annoyance.

So, anyway, I will end by promoting my food blog.  Here is my second Newman's Own blog with a cooking demo video.  Watch it, damnit!  I spent hours on this thing, and it's not like I'm getting paid for it.  Okay, well, I did get free tomato sauce and a free video camera....

No comments:

Post a Comment