Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Searching the Web

I'm watching The Weather Channel, while searching the internets for news of beloved Nola and the gulf coast area.  The few people that I could contact, I don't want to waste their phone charge by texting them.  Hopefully everyone is safe and sound.

When I look at the photos from the times picayune website I know that each individual house has it's own fate.  One house on any given street could be fine, while the house next door could be in shambles.

We don't need to bring up the whole Katrina thing, do we?  It's the 7 year anniversary.  And for some people, this little cat 1 hurricane is turning out to be worse than Katrina.

Go figure.

It's so sad that I'm so helpless and really I don't know what exactly is going on up there.

I do see a lot of pictures of flooding and downed trees and power lines.  And I know that a ton of gulf coast residents are without power.  But really, what else do I know?  Not much else.

I'm so sad for that beautiful, old, dark, sunny, humid, crazy, tough, maddening, dangerous place that's forever in my heart.  But at the same time, I can't imagine living there and still having to deal with that worry.  I assume if we still lived there, or if we had moved back, we would have bought a house there.  I can't imagine what it would be like to prepare for a hurricane in New Orleans in a house that I owned.  When we used to prepare for hurricanes back in the day, we were never prepared.  We usually just tried to buy enough booze and smoked oysters to last us a couple days, but it usually only lasted a day or two tops.  We never once boarded one window.  We never sandbagged.  We never had a generator.  We were so unprepared.

I just can't imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment