Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Not Long Enough (that's what she said)

The day, that is.

So, I thought I was going to sleep in a little today.  I didn't just drift off to sleep yesterday, and I always need some recovery time after Sunday brunch, because I'm old and not as spry as I used to be.

So, anyhoo, that sleeping in thing didn't happen.  The FP called me around 6 am to tell me the news... he lost his iphone!

Can I say, it wasn't a shocker?  He most likely left it in the cab or it fell out of the cab or something.

The "funny" (not ha ha funny) is that that guy always had that damn phone in his hand.  He probably spent more consecutive hours holding that iphone and the previous iphone than the number of hours he spent holding my hand in his lifetime.

So, needless to say, I was up for the day.  I spent a while setting up the AT&T family map, which is free for 30 days.  I got it working, and it said that his phone was near the hotel.  So, I made him get up and go look on the street for it.  He couldn't find it.  A while later, the phone had apparently moved north.  I texted the phone (which doesn't have passcode security) and said that I have GPS tracker on the phone and the cops would be coming to find it.  A little later, the phone was back in the original spot.  It could be a coincidence.  Some people reported on a forum online how inaccurate the AT&T family map can be.  Or someone could have picked up the phone, saw the message and threw it back.

Anyway, after the FP gave up looking for it, I turned it off.

I went to the AT&T site to see what to do.  That's when I remembered, there was insurance!!!

So, I went to the link to make a claim.  It had a form to fill out and get notarized.  So, this could not be taken care of at 7 am...

So, I took Rudy to the park.  It was kind of swampy, and that guy did not want to walk!!!  So, I let him sniff around on the grass.  We meandered for possibly half a mile, which is better than no miles, I guess.  But I had so wanted to exercise him, because I needed to do errands.  I didn't want to crate up an energetic big puppy.  But, I could only take him stopping and sitting or laying down so many times.  I'm sure I gave a lot of people at the park a good laugh.  If I had seen myself walking Rudy, I probably would have followed us around to see what other funny antic he would pull.

After the park, I decided that I would just bring Rudy to daycare while I ran errands.  That would make us both happy.  He got half a day of play, and I got to run errands without worrying that I was taking too long.

After I picked him up, I tried to scrub the algae spots off the bottom of the pool.  I had bought swim goggles for the task, which, I have never worn in my life.  They hurt my face.  But I tried them.  But the algae scrubbing was a failure.  I couldn't gain enough scrubbing strength in my arm without floating back to the surface.  Guess I have too much body fat ratio - because they say fat is more buoyant, right?

Anyhoo, instead, I got Rudy to get in the pool.  I got a dog treat and floated it on the frisbee.  He barked in that whiny voice for a little while, but then he just kind of gave up and went in after it.  It was funny because he decided to just take the treat and leave the frisbee.  On his turn back, his nails scratched the fuck out of my stomach.  Fucker.

I got him to go in again to retrieve the frisbee, but then that was it for him.  He did the rolling around in the grass and running around the yard routine for a while.  I joined in, but with my house slippers, I was running like an old lady.

When we were about to go back in, I noticed blob on his head.  I thought it was leaf particle.  I went to grab it and it was soft.

I realized it was.... a big fat bloated tick!!!
Ack!!!

I had to deal with this now.  By myself.  We haven't had tweezers in ages.  So, I got panicky, and I grabbed a paper towel, to see if the thing would just pull off.  I guess it had enough to drink, because it came off really easily.  It was so bloated and gross.  But then I realized, there was a smaller one under it.  At first I thought it was the head, but the big bloated one had legs and a head, and this smaller one had legs and a head.

So, then, I had to find the needle nose pliers.  I grabbed the toolbox out from under the sink, and all these spiders had to run for cover.  The pliers were of course at the bottom.  Once I got the tools back in, I tried to coax Rudy.  I don't know if he felt uneasy because of the ticks or because he sensed I was trying not to freak out.  So, I kept trying to lure him with treats, but I guess the pliers looked menacing to him.  But I finally got him.  No matter what, the food will eventually lure him, even if it takes time.

Luckily, the thing came right off, and I was pretty sure I got the whole thing.  I put it in a ziploc baggie, just in case.  Then I called the vet to ask what the deal was.  Basically, they said, make sure to get the ticks off asap.  They said that flea and tick meds really don't repel ticks.  They should eventually die though, but it's better to just get rid of them and treat the yard for them.  So, I guess I'm going to have to do a little yard maintenance, even though it wasn't on the agenda for the day.....
even though the thought of going out there gives me the willies and the itchies!

No comments:

Post a Comment