Search This Blog

Saturday, August 25, 2012

I should have played cello

When I was in grade school, my parents made me take piano lessons - that's a given because I'm Filipina.  When there was an option to take Orchestra in 5th and 6th grade, my parents pushed me to join.  My two sisters were both in orchestra.

But for whatever reason, I had my mind set on playing saxophone. There was no band at my school.  Not until 7th grade.  My parents reasoned that I could learn a stringed instrument and then switch to band in 7th grade.  That's what my middle sister did.

But I didn't want to bother with a stringed instrument.  Couldn't I start with private lessons and play sax?  So, in 6th grade, we got a sax from the local music store, and I began taking lessons.

But later on in life, with my deep dark sense of beauty, I began to love the sound of the cello.  I thought, why didn't I play cello?

When I hear a piece of music with cello in it, I think, why didn't I take up cello?

But I have my sax.  Yeah, it's pretty.  But I never play it, so I can't play anything exciting on it.

And I know, that if I had a cello, I probably wouldn't play that either.

We do have a midi controller.  And I could plug it into the computer and find a cello.  And I could play that, and it would be good enough to fill my cello void.

But I don't do that either.

Instead, I just sit here on the couch and whine to you about why I never took up the cello.

Oh well.  We may be getting a storm.  That's what I'm obsessing about currently.

No comments:

Post a Comment