Search This Blog

Thursday, September 27, 2012

I didn't win the lottery :(

I was really banking on that one.  $200 million.  Someone from Iowa or somewhere won it.  I even quit my job already thinking I would win.

Ok, I didn't quit my job.  But I fantasize about quitting.  All the time.  Why?  Why am I like that?  I used to have friends who would say I'm never happy with any of my jobs.  But in retrospect, there's always got to be something good in a job to stay for more than a day, right?

Would you like me to list the positives about jobs I've had?  That should be a short list for sure.  I'm not going to include working for my parents... because it's working for my parents and it doesn't count.  But I will start after that in chronological order.

The beach toys kiosk in the mall.
1. It was my first job.
2. I got to get out of the house in the summer.
3. I met interesting people.
4. I got an interesting glimpse into the mall employee culture.

The internship at a literary journal when I was at FSU. 
1.  It was my first and last job pertaining to writing.
2.  The people were nice.
3.  I got some experience seeing how a literary journal was run, and it was cool.
4.  I got my name in the credits.

The work study in the curriculum counseling office at Emerson College.
1.  It gave me a stipend.
2.  I had the chance to experience an office job where I had a desk.
3.  The people were nice.
4.  I met some interesting students and I like to think I helped them.
5.  I felt useful.
6.  It helped with the loneliness.
7.  Our end of semester work party was at a place called Brew Moon, which was my first experience with a nice brewpub and "gourmet" food.

Ben & Jerry's 
1.  It was the first job that I ever applied to and really wanted to get.
2. I got to eat all the ice cream I wanted.
3. I worked with a lot of cool people.
4. I learned how to work a register and handle money and close out the deposit at night.
5. I had responsibility.
6. I started writing the schedule.
7. When closing on a Friday or Saturday night, sometimes we would make mixed drinks with ice cream or sorbet to take and drink on the way to the club.
8.  I made good money during the summer.
9.  I learned that I had led a sheltered life.

Sam Adams Brewery
1. I got to tell people I worked at Sam Adams!
2. I got to drink beer!
3. I got to try new beers before they came out.
4. I liked all the people there.
5. It was the most I had ever made hourly, even though it was only a few hours a week.
6. I got merchandise at a discount.
7. I got 2 free cases a month, and I also got to take extra expired beer too.
8. They let me invite my friends and hang out after hours and drink from the open taps!
9. I think if we hadn't left Boston I would have wanted to stay with the company for long term.

Coffee Cottage
1. I got hired right away after moving, so I felt secure about that.
2. I liked some of the people I worked with.

Spice Inc
1. I loved that store.
2.  I like most of the people I worked with.
3. I admire the owner.
4. I met interesting people.
5. I learned a lot about food.
6. I learned a lot about work politics.
7. I liked working somewhere that was ahead of it's time.



Man... this is going to be at least a 2 parter... I've worked a lot of places!
g'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment