Search This Blog

Friday, September 7, 2012

Professionalism

Now, if you read this blog regularly (he he) at all, then you know I'm not one to tout professionalism (Read the entry, "My biggest fear."  But, when I am consuming mass media from supposed mass media giants, I expect professionalism!

So, the other day at work, my chef boss shows me a recipe from "Food & Wine" on the internet.  You know, a very respectable publication, right?  Well, the recipe was kind of stupid.  It was like a no bake frozen zebra cheesecake.  You know, it sounded good, but it's not exactly French Laundry type of pastry making.  Anyway, my chef gets the ingredients for it - mainly cream cheese, chocolate wafers and Hershey's syrup.  So, then I have to read the recipe from his smartphone.  It says to crush some of the wafers, and then to line a cake pan with plastic wrap and layer the cake.  I never saw any mention of the crumbs.  I was so annoyed.  Where were the cookie crumbs in the recipe? So, we put some crumbs on the bottom, and then we also used some for garnish.

Now, I go home and search for the recipe, and I find, I didn't read past step #3.  Ah... that's where the cookie crumbs go...

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/icebox-chocolate-cheesecake

Guess I was the one not being professional.  I just hate reading recipes on smartphones!  I'm getting too old, and it's difficult to read on those little screens!  Oopsie!!!


Now, my other gripe is with the Nat Geo channel.  The FP and I are addicted to Locked Up Abroad.  Although Rudy has kind of made me dread watching the show, because he always does annoying things while we watch it, like scavenge the kitchen for food, or chew on something he shouldn't chew on.

Anyhoo, we were watching one episode tonight, about a guy who escaped from a gulag during the cold war.  It was a pretty good story.  But there were about 4 times when the voice was cut off.  The first time I thought it was the recording.  But it happened a few times, and it seemed to be when they were filming him during his interview when he is on screen, not during narration.  It was really fucking annoying.  I just don't understand why that happened.  I mean maybe it was a glitch with our recording, but why would it happen only during a certain time, and it wasn't like the music stopped playing?

I just want to know, if Nat Geo can't get a handle on their editing and production, then who can?

No comments:

Post a Comment