Search This Blog

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Acts of somebody...

I was going to curl up in bed and write this blog.  I had the topic all in my head, and I got into bed, and something stuck me in the foot.  It was a sharp pain, so I felt my foot.  Nothing in it, so I felt around the bed for the culprit.  I didn't want to get stuck again...

I found the culprit.  (All of this, btw, was taking place in the relative dark.  The FP was already snoozing in bed, and my only light was the computer screen.)  I brought it into the studio to have a look.  It looked like a shard of beer glass, with a teeny wee bit of the label.

Nice.  How did that get in the bed on my side?  And how did my foot come in contact with it in just the right way that it stabbed me.  And how many other shards of beer glass are in the bed.  I did take the flashlight and look, but I didn't see any more.

Anyway, here I am in the studio instead of comfortably lounging in bed.  Which this is weird, because I really only use this room to get the cat food, to charge the computer, to see if the cats are in here, and to chase Rudy out, because he's not really allowed in this room.

But, I will forge on....

My original topic was animals and real estate.  Although we have a small plot of land, it is heavily populated.  You've got the ants that are everywhere.  A lot in the backyard, especially between the pavers by the pool.  The ants clog up the pool filter so that I have to clean it often for the pump to run nicely.  You've got the pigeons in the trees and on the electric wires.  There used to be the grackles in the oak, but since the babies were born and learned to fly, they seemed to have moved on.  There are the big green lizard(s) in the oak, the knight anole, that may or may not still be there.  We don't have too many curly tailed lizards, but I'm sure we have some.  We do have a lot of geckos though.  The babies for some reason, always seem to have a death with, because they try to get into the house, where they get played with and eaten by the cats or dog.

Then there's the ticks in the yard that love Rudy's blood.  And there's the beetles, bees and weird looking grasshopper things that love to swim in the pool.

And then the house spiders.  There is a huge high rise condo of them on the lanai in the corner by the back door.  They have been allowed to thrive there ever since we moved in.  They have a huge hammock of webs, that has the cadavers of thousands of carpenter ants.  Ironically, when we moved from San Diego, I thought we would get away from the carpenter ants, but, no, here they are again.  The spiders have thrived and gotten very huge feeding off all these ants and whatever else they catch.  And so, the spider population in that one corner begins to grow in size and number.  Some branch out behind the storage shed, but a lot like to stay close to home.

When I was taking a shower, I watched this one lone spider in the corner, all by itself, hanging out in the shower, seemingly suspended in air.  It didn't have one ant visible in it's invisible web.  I wondered, why did it choose to set up camp in this shower?  I've never seen an ant there.  If you look in the corner next to the sink, there are a lot of dead ants there.  But none in the shower?  It puzzled me, until I thought of my own preferences.  I like to live in or near big cities, but at the same time, I like lots of space.  I can be a loner.  Maybe I could relate more to this spider than I realized.

Maybe she grew up and felt suffocated by life in the spider condo, with Big Mama and brothers and sisters and cousins and every other relative all up in her business.  Maybe all she wanted to do was to start her own web, go out on her own in a different room of the house, be independent with no safety web.  Maybe she wanted to spread out, and design a new type of web on more tricky surfaces.  Maybe she wanted to look out on her space with her multiple eyes, and not see one other spider around.  And maybe she didn't want all the ants at her disposal for the taking, whenever she wanted, day or night.  Maybe she wanted to work for her supper, to really savor every meal she had, like at any minute, someone might come in and wipe her off the wall and down the drain.

But sometimes, she must get lonely.  Her only visitors being ants, who, after she meets them, they die, or me, who she might just consider a predator, waiting to get her....

No comments:

Post a Comment