Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

adulthood!

When I last took Rudy to the vet over a month ago, the vet told me to stop feeding him puppy food.  I had just bought a new big bag of puppy food, so he told me just to run it out and then start him on adult food.

So, today was the day.  We stopped at Petsmart on the way home and got him his big bag of adult food.  He was so excited, that he wanted to tear into it on the way home.  He kept trying to get at the back, which is a very small space in a very small car.  So, he could have if he had tried hard enough.  Luckily, we were only about 10 minutes from home.

So, you know, they (who they is, I really can't say) say that when you introduce a pet to new food, you want to slowly integrate it in with their old food, so that after a few meals, they will be eating only the new food.

I didn't do that.  The FP put away the huge bag of food, and he dumped the new onto the old in the Rudy's daycare food box.  So, I did try to scoop some of the old stuff from the bottom for his dinner, but I couldn't get at it, as those are little kibble and the adult large dog food is big kibble for the big mouthed dog.

They also say that your pet might refuse the new food at first, so the slow introduction might help.

Not a problem here.

The guy was so excited to eat this new food that he got all bark yappy while I was scooping it out.  And then he was even more ravenous than usual after he had his recommended portion.

I've never given him dog food or a dog treat that he turned down.

Never.

I've never knowingly or purposely gave him human food.  I don't need to unleash that can of worms - well, it would be more like unleashing an oil barrel of anacondas, really.

So, I think today, 2 days after his 6 month birthday (the day he bit his daddy), the day of my bff's birthday, is another momentous day for Rudy.

It's like when kids start drinking out of a sippy cup and start eating with a fork and knife or something.

Rudy's got his big boy pants on.  And they are pretty big pants at that!


No comments:

Post a Comment