Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

So... Part 1 of I don't know how many parts!

Wow, I have a lot to tell you.

It's late... 11:22!!!

And surprise, surprise, I'm tie - red.

Anyhoo, let's just start off with Monday morning.  We got up early, no sleeping in.  I went to take Rude Rudy for morning potties, and we noticed a baby bird at the foot of the oak tree.  At first I thought it was dead, since we have seen, oh, about five or more dead birds since we moved in.  But then, it looked at me and moved its head.  So, it was alive.  It was either hurt, or couldn't fly, and was stuck.  When I moved closer to look, the alpha female of the oak tree chirped at me warningly.  The black grackle who hates Rudy swooped down.  So, we backed off.

I felt bad for the little chipper.  Generally speaking, I take the stance that I hate bird, but that's just a front.  Of course, almost any little baby animal in peril tugs at the old veins and arteries (heartstrings, duh).  And this little chick was kind of cute with the downy fur, and looking at me, or towards me.  I called the FP to come look.  We were stumped.  What did we do?  If our one friend lived in the same area, he would have probably recommended who to call or took the thing in or to the vet or something.  The FP thought we should give it water.  So, he took a small purple plastic Target bowl and filled it with water and set it in the pit of the tree next to the birdie.

I have to admit, that was pretty brave!  The birds, like the whole population of the tree (which seems like a hundred) were flying around and chirping up a shrill cacophony and flying low to scare him, but the FP put the water there.  And not one peck.  But those grackles were hopping mad!

So, we Googled "I found a baby bird on the ground."  The most reasonable answer to that question was that if it was alive, let it be.  The parents would feed it and protect it while it tried to fly, and hopefully would eventually fly.

That is all well and good.  But recently, I realized how many cats roam the neighborhood.  I never really saw more than the one that the black grackle hates, until I left the catnip hanging planter on the ground one night.

So, we were worried about cats getting the baby bird, but at the same time, we didn't want to get an eye pecked out.  And also, we didn't know what to do with a baby bird anyway!  So, we went to work.  The FP was worried about the little bird and thought about it often.  I kind of was absorbed in getting out of work, and getting ready for a day off, so after an hour or so, I forgot about the bird.  Until we got home from work.  And the little thing was still there.  It looked deadwith its eye open.  But then it moved.  It was still alive.  So, we checked out of the window every once in a while.  I saw fluttering a few times as it attempted to fly.  But no go.  We wondered if it would survive through the night.

The next morning, we woke up, and looked for the little fella or gal.  The FP thought it was a girl because it's sweet looking.  The FP assumes any animal that looks sweet must be a female.  Anyway, we finally found it.  And it was still alive.  Still by the base of the tree.  And the parents and especially the alpha couple were very vocal and protective.

The FP was going to go for a run, so I thought I would take the puppy along for walkies.  We were getting ready and discussing our day, when the FP decided maybe we should bring the Rudes for daycare.  So, we all hopped in the car and we dropped him off.  He had been seeming a little under the weather, but he was excited to go in, so we dropped him off.

Then we went to the beach.  I haven't been to the beach in a while, so it was nice.  Very nice.  It wasn't too hot.  And no one was around.  So, I took a short walk, just to feel like I got... some kind of exercise.  But really, I just wanted to get on the beach and walk on the sand and go in the water.  The water was surprisingly a little cooler than I thought it would be.  It was sooooo nice.  Except the water was whipping the seaweed around breaking it up into little pieces that were flaying me with the tide.  Then I saw a little fish, what looked like a lionfish flipping around on the shore.  It was stuck, and the tide wasn't bringing it back out.  So, I took some seaweed and pushed it back in a little more, and finally a wave took it.  But it didn't seem strong enough to swim.  So it was probably hurt and probably died or got eaten anyway.  But I tried.  What's with all the helpless animals?

Anyway, I didn't even get to the part that was more about me.... So, you will just have to stay tuned for the rest of the epic story!

No comments:

Post a Comment