Search This Blog

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Out Of Work Clothes

So, answer this question.  If you've ever worked in the service industry, why is it, that when people you work with see you for the first time in something other than work clothes, they are surprised and have to make a comment.  Or like, they don't recognize you?  

So, maybe everyone doesn't have this experience, but I do.  It's like I must look like a hideous elven wood dweller when I'm in my uniform at work, slaving away.  Because, when I put on a dress - a $10 on sale dress from Walmart - I get the thumbs up from the gaysian owner.  From the Haitian dishwarsher, I get a weird pantomime repetitive gesture of kissing hands and saying "usband, usband".   Weird.

It's like I still stunk, I still had my hair tied up in fraying ponytail holders, and I didn't even wash my face, but the transformation from t-shirt and dickies scrubs to a dress and flip flops made me look like a different person altogether.  A more relaxed, more fun person, perhaps?  Ok, yeah, I probably am more fun and relaxed outside of work.  Aren't most people, though?  

Here's a weird thing.  I want to have an after work thing at our house.  I mean, we have a pool and it's summer.  And we are closed Sunday night.  But, if people look at each other differently when they are wearing shorts or dresses instead of the work uniform, what is it like to see each other in swimming attire?  Is that TMI when people don't know each other that well?

And do I want to be responsible anyway, for these kids getting crazy at my house and possibly hooking up?  Not really.  Parties with younger kids are more fun when you're a young kid.  A lot of the people at work are in their 20s, like you expect people who work at restaurants to be.  A lot of the public doesn't understand that not everyone waits tables or cooks just as a means to earn money while in college.  Some people are lifers in the service industry.  There's nothing wrong with it.  It's perfectly respectable.  

Anyhoo, if we were going to have people over, we would probably need a grill... and well, seeing as how we just bought a car, maybe we shouldn't be buying stuff - I mean, more stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment