Search This Blog

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day To All You Fathers

I thought you all just liked to hang out in your backyard and drink beers and grill steaks.  But apparently, going out to brunch for Mother's Day isn't enough.  You also like to go out for brunch on Father's Day as well.

You like to go to brunch where I work for Father's Day in big groups.  And you like to order the bangers and eggs (didn't even know her) and the hanger hash (hanger, didn't even banger) and donut holes too.  And I might have broke your poached egg a little and served it to you anyway, because it was covered in hollandaise sauce anyway.

I guess I don't know what fathers like.  I'm not a father.  I never really got a long with my father too well to know what he liked.  He didn't like waste.  And he didn't like showiness.  And he didn't like sentiment.  And he didn't like a lot of stuff.

He did like going on grueling vacations to see as many sights as possible and staying in cheap hotels, like college backpackers.

But he's my dad.  I don't know what Father's Day means to him.  Maybe that he didn't get to have the children that he wanted.  Or maybe that he didn't raise us the way he wanted.  Or maybe it doesn't really mean anything to him.  I don't know.  But I called him today.  I had to have a beer first, of course.  But it was a pleasant but short conversation.

I can't relate to people who have great relationships with their dads.  That was never something I consciously felt like I needed as a kid, because it wasn't something that I saw in many friend's relationships with their dads.  Several friends' parents were divorced, and they lived with their moms.  I pretty much thought dads were just quiet and scary, and really scary when yelling and punishing kids.  Now, I realize that isn't necessarily true.

Now that my dad is old, and I've seen grown up kids having normal relationships with their parents, I guess I envy that.  I guess, if I could have a cordial relationship with my dad before one of us dies, that would be quite an accomplishment for us....

So, happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there.  Cherish being a dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment