Search This Blog

Sunday, June 24, 2012

old friends

So, I think there are friends of convenience, and there are friends who take a piece of your soul.  That might not sound right to you, but this is how I see it.

Working in the service industry, I've had friends who were very close to me, because we worked together and drank together.  And then when we stopped working together, we stopped drinking together.

Then there are friends who are always friends, and no matter the circumstance of meeting, or how often you keep in contact, they will always be dear to you.  And when you see each other after long periods of absence, it's like... old friends.

So, this weekend, we went to a very special event.  We went to our good friends' wedding.  These are friends who we met early on in San Diego.  And while we had our ups and downs, and in the end we didn't see each other as much anymore, they will always be dear to my heart.  They were an integral part of our experience in San Diego, and so many memories include them.

The sad thing about weddings, is that the betrothed couple bring together so many friends and family, that it's really difficult to spend enough time with everyone.  I realize this, so just spending the little time with them during the wedding was enough.  And it was also great hanging out with their families and friends.  It weird that everyone was so appreciative of our attendance.  We pretty much felt it was mandatory.  I mean, we assured them so many times that we were definitely going.  I'm sure they didn't necessarily believe us, but would have understood if we hadn't have gone.

I mean, they live in BFE!  They live in a very quaint little tourist town.  It's called Traverse City and it's in Michigan on one of the bays.  It's really cute.  But it's 4 and a half hours outside of Detroit.  So, while we unfortunately may never return to Traverse City, this was the big event that compelled us to travel all the way to Traverse City.

I'm so glad that we got a chance to go there.  We got to see the place that the bride grew up in, the home that she loves.  It's such a foreign concept to me - for a child to love her childhood town so much to want to move back there, or to want to live so close to her parents.  I mean it's very sweet.  Am I jealous of that closeness?  Sure, I must be.  But it's nice to see.

So, congrats to the married couple.  I can't say enough how much you guys mean to me, and how lovely it was to see you walk down the aisle together!


No comments:

Post a Comment