Search This Blog

Monday, March 5, 2012

Wasting Water

So, I didn't expect to be here on the couch, writing the blog at 2:38 today.

I expected to be working.  But, it was a big tease!

So, last night, our flight home was delayed.  We got home around 1:45 am.  I was pretty tired and ready to hit the hay and get my six hours of sleep.  I set the alarm, but of course, I really woke up at 7:05, and 7:25, and 7:35, and 7:55 before the alarm went off.  I made coffee, went out back to take a look at the plants and the pool.  The plants were okay, besides the tomato plants being knocked over.  Of course, I need to dig out the old wheatgrass and plant new stuff.  And the avocado tree still isn't happy.

The pool was a different story.  The water line was really low.  And the skimmer was completely full of leaves and oak pollen, and there was a whole raft of leaves and oak pollen right outside the skimmer too.  And a bunch on the floor of the pool.  So I emptied out the skimmer, and the raft of leaves and pollen that was near the skimmer broke up and sunk to the bottom...yay.  I got the hose and started refilling the pool, hoping I wouldn't forget to turn it off.

I went inside and took a shower and got ready.  I did remember to turn off the hose before I left.  And then I drove to work!  Except, I was getting to the interstate when I realized that I left my Brita water bottle at home!  Oh well, I figured, it's not like there's water there.  So, there was not much traffic, so I stopped at Walgreens and got some water.

Then I went to the restaurant.  And my new boss told me that today I would be filling out paperwork for the front of the house manager.  And then before I left, he asked me to see him before leaving.  The opening had been pushed back a couple days.  So, I guess I wasn't needed today.

But I had my knives, and my water, my pen, pad of paper, and my sharpie!  And my chef pants and cook's shirt!  I TOOK A SHOWER FOR THIS!  Man, I could have just got out of bed, thrown on some clothes, went to the restaurant, signed some papers and then come home and crawled back into bed!

Oh well, I am not the negative bad attitude girl I used to be.  I just trained myself not to make any inconvenient or unfavorable situation a huge tragedy anymore.  After all, it's one last free day before joining the workforce again!  A day of celebration!

So, I filled out the paperwork, and that was it.  I talked to my new boss, and he told me to come in tomorrow, same time, 10 am.  And that was it.  I went back home.

But, I'm not going to worry.  Not going to speculate.  I'm just going to enjoy my last day unemployed.

I was able to go out and buy myself a chef's knife, that I had been needing.  Boy that was fun.  I went to the Village at Gulfstream Park.  Gulfstream Park is a horse racing track over by our "old" apartment.    So, the Village is the shopping center with shops and bars and restaurants next to the Gulfstream.  When we first moved to Hallandale, the FP had said that we should never set foot in that complex.  Just because it seemed so... icky I guess is the word.  But I went there.  Because there was a Sonoma Williams.

I parked.  I walked to a directory.  and I tried to dechiper it.  I swear, it seemed like it was printed backwards.  So, I figured I had to go the opposite of what would be the logical direction.  Then the mall cop guy on his segway came by.  He slowed down and asked me if I needed help.  I asked him how to get to the Williams Sonoma.  And he told me to go in the direction that seemed opposite of the map.  And he assured me that the map was confusing.

So, I got to Williams Sonoma.  They had the standard Henckels and Wustof knives, which I am so over.  They are clunky and not shaped the most ergonomically and difficult to keep sharp.  They also had these crazy fancy expensive Japanese knives.  If I had just won the lottery I might buy them.  But I didn't.  I just checked 6 old tickets that I had stashed in my purse from various drawings.  Not one winner.

So, I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond in Aventura.  It was kind of busy.  And there were way more people needing help than there were people to help everyone.  So I waited.  And I was on the lookout for an employee who wasn't busy.  And finally one walked by, but of course he wasn't as knowledgeable in the knife department.  He was unlocking the case and looking around for the knife, when he finally found it.  He handed it to me, and then told me he needed to walk it up to the counter for me.  But I had one more question.  And I figured he might not know the answer.  But I asked anyway.

I needed a diamond steel.  He didn't know what that was.  And now I realize that I was using the wrong terminology.  I wanted the flat surface diamond steel.  I always called the regular steel the "rod steel".  And I called the flat surface steel the "diamond steel" because the end is kind of diamond shaped.  But they are both diamond steels technically.  Anyway, the guy had to go and get someone else to answer my question.  So, he brought back two guys, one was kind of quiet, and the other was Mr. Knife Guru.  So he came up and started telling me about diamond cut knives.  He said if I used the knife a lot, I should get the Global knife.  So, I told him how I was looking for a "diamond steel" not a diamond knife.  So, then he says if I don't know how to sharpen a knife, no offense, I should probably use one of those machines down there at the end.  I said I was looking for the diamond steel, and he said the one I had in my hand, the rod steel, was it.  So, I said I was looking for a flat edged one.  He said, if I wanted a good stone one, he showed me the flat stone that was the best.  It was a stone, and it was more expensive than the knife, so I didn't want that.  But, I didn't bother to explain it to him.  So, that was that, I would just get the Henckels steel because that was about all they had.  About 35 minutes after walking into the store, I finally left with all my purchases.

And now I'm home.  Although, I'm all clean and nowhere to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment