Search This Blog

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Downgrade Your Technology

You don't have to necessarily go camping in the woods, go back to nature to get back to your roots.  You can just take your current cell phone and take the sim card out and put it in one of your old kind of working not really working cell phones.

So, of course, I always have to be different.  When I realized at a young age that I would never be able to fit into the crowd, to be like everyone else, I started striving to be different.  Unique.  One of a kind.  Off the beaten path.

So, when I got my cell phone one and a half years ago, I didn't get a smartphone.  Well, for one they were too expensive, the plans were too expensive, and they were kinda big.  What I really needed was a phone with a pullout keyboard.  Being OCD, I went online and looked at the phones.  Then I went to an AT&T store to look at the phones in person.  The guy that tried to help me was not very helpful, as all I wanted to do was to look at phones and touch them and see how I liked them.  So, I went back online again and again, and finally I made a decision.

I picked a blue tween phone - a Pantech Pursuit.  It's cute, it's little, it's got a great little keyboard with convex buttons.  If I really need to get on the internet, I kind of can for only $10 more a month.  I don't know if it attracts cats too, but, my cat Stinksy loved to knock the phone off the ledge when it was charging.  I probably knocked it off the ledge too.  So, finally, the charger stopped working the other night.

So, I went to the AT&T store this morning to get a replacement charger.  Of course, they don't sell them anymore at the store.  I went to a couple more stores.  There are tons of chargers for iphones, several for Samsung, and also for LG.  None for Pantech.  Who the hell has a Pantech?

Me.

I had to be different.  Couldn't get a phone for the masses.  Had to get a lesser known, more unique phone, didn't I?

And now what?  I found some cell phone website that sell the charger for like $8 including shipping.  Because they just want to get rid of them.  So, I ordered one, but I got it shipped regular mail delivery. So it will probably take a week or two.  I just couldn't justify paying $25 for shipping for a charger that cost $3.

So, I broke out the our cellphone casket.  There was the FP's teeny Blue Sony phone.  The flip part had broken off.  There was the FP's Nokia phone.  So, it was like those original old Nokia phones, but an updated one with a color screen.  No camera of course.  Then there was the Mexican version of the Nokia phone that I had to buy from a cell phone store.  That one had an orange LED screen.  The last one was a Cingular LG little flip phone.  I remembered it not being an awful phone.  The charger was there and it charged, so that was the one I picked to use.

It sucks of course.  It's old.  It takes forever to charge.  When I call someone, the battery bars go down to one, and it beeps like it's going to discharge during the call.  After I hang up, a bar or two reappear.  And the texting.

Oh the texting.  It has a number keypad of course.  So, three letters and a number for each button.  So, say I'm trying to type a C.  I can't push the 1 button enough times for a C to register.  So, I pretty much can't text at all with this thing.

So, I'm reverted back to the dark ages of having to "talk" to people.  No texting.

NO TEXTING?

I don't know how to have a phone conversation with anyone besides the FP, my sisters, my mom's friend... and strangers that I need to make appointments with to get car work done, etc.

And with the phone beeping at me while I'm trying to conversate.

Maybe I should have paid the extra $20 for rush shipping of that charger....
I used to think my rinky dink blue tweenphone was a little embarrassing.  But the phone I have to use now is like a throw away drug dealer cell phone.  People are going to see me using it and definitely think I'm arranging a deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment