Search This Blog

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Another First

I think, that a full life probably is full of lots of firsts.

1st solid food
1st steps
1st word
1st grade
1st communion
1st kiss
1st look at the opposite sex's pee pee
1st crush
1st boyfriend/girlfriend
1st time masturbating
1st time seeing naked parent
1st time getting to 2nd base
1st time getting to 3rd base
1st time hitting a homer
1st taste of alcohol
1st cigarette
1st joint
1st time mainlining
1st murder....

You get the picture.  I could go on and on with this list, but, let's just get back to the subject of me.

I rode the Broward County transit for the FIRST (1st) time today.  I'm a big girl now.  As my former coworker, Harley Mama would say, I got my big girl britches on!

So, I googled which route to take this morning, before going to work.  The FP drove me to work, though.  Of course, the first time he had to take me, it was rainy and trafficky.  Every time I've driven myself there has been minimal traffic and no rain.

So, I got out of work at around 5:30.  Luckily it wasn't raining/  I walked down Broward Blvd, past Hwy1, to 3rd Avenue.  I turned down 3rd, and I thought to myself, I think this is the right street...  I didn't see a bus stop sign, but I kept walking.  I almost witnessed at least two car accidents on my walk.  People really do drive shittily down here.  I mean, they really do.

I couldn't remember what the cross street was for the bus stop, so I just kept walking.  Finally, after a ten minute walk, I saw the bus stop.  It was on some corner by a tall building, no bench, no shelter, not even a trash can.  There was only one guy there.  The bus is supposed to run every 30 minutes, so the bus had probably just recently passed by.

I tried to get on the Broward County Transit website to see what it said for the schedule, but it was difficult to read on my teeny screen, and it just confused me, because it didn't list the stop I was at.

So, I just kept waiting.  And waiting.  There was some water on the side of the road, and some asshole driver drove fairly fast and sprayed us.  Fucking car drivers, they're all so rude and they don't respect us pedestrians and bus riders.  Fuck them!

Finally the bus came, about  half an hour after I arrived at the bus stop.  So, there was only a seat at the back of the bus, which kind of sucked for my motion sickness - since I couldn't see the horizon to prevent nausea.  It also sucked because I couldn't really see too well out the window to see street signs.

This bus goes by the airport, and as it went speeding onto the on ramp and off ramp, I thought I was going to slide into the aisle.  So, anyway, it's good to know that if I ever need to catch the bus from work to the airport, it's just a mere ten minute walk and ten minute bus ride.

So, then, I knew we were getting close to my stop.  I saw the bar, Shenanigan's, so I thought the next stop was mine.  I think I might have gotten off the bus too soon.  I should have waited until we crossed Sheridan, but I didn't.  At any rate, I was on the bus for about 30 minutes.

One thing that sucks about my kitchen shoes, is that while they are great for standing on your feet all day, they are shitty for walking a long distance.  So, my feet started aching.  Anyway, the sun was setting, and there I was walking up Sheridan toward home.  I said hi to almost everyone I passed on the sidewalk.  It's funny because when I was walking in silence, I would pass someone and say hi, usually too quiet.  Sometimes too loud.  It's like I had no sense of volume from underuse of my voice.

Anyhoo, I got home after a 20 minute walk.  So, here's the breakdown of my odyssey:

5:40pm, leave work

5:50pm, arrive at bus stop.

6:20pm, get on bus.

6:50pm, get off bus.

7:10pm, arrive at home!

So, an hour and a half from work to home.  Really, it wouldn't have been as bad if I had brought a change of shoes.  Next time I know.

So, my firsts were:

1st time riding the bus in South Florida.
1st time riding the bus from work.
1st time riding the bus home.
1st time walking home from US 1.
1st time walking in the neighborhood at night.
1st time being sprayed with water on the sidewalk in Fort Lauderdale.
1st time coming home from work to no FP.  That was weird.

Whelp, back to work tomorrow, 9 am!

No comments:

Post a Comment