Search This Blog

Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Quest For Water

So, I have a thing for water.  Even since before Katrina.  I always am thirsty, and I am always concerned about my water intake and having enough potable water available.  When the airport security rules banned bringing water through the security check, I was devastated!  Before, I used to bring a huge bottle, and that would usually last me through all my flights.  Now, I have to buy a bottle of $4 water at the terminal.

So, I actually thought about bringing my brita water bottle that the FP got me for Christmas.  But, I didn't want to lose it, which I knew I would.  Plus, since it really filters more for taste and chlorine, I don't trust it for a lot of tap water.  I am actually used to filling it with water from the brita pitcher, so it's kind of like it's double filtered.  So, that way, if it's cold, it tastes really clean.

When we arrived at the Pittsburgh airport on Friday, I went into the Walgreens that was in the airport, specifically to get water.  I got two large bottles, and I was thinking they would last us at least 24 hours.  I was glad to get that hurdle out of the way, easily enough.

Usually, we get to the hotel, and if we don't have a car, we have to try to find the nearest place within walking distance, which ends up being a hike.  Or, if there is nowhere nearby, we end up spending a mountain of money on smaller bottles from the hotel.

But we were set for the first day.  I felt secure.  Water is like a security blanket to me.

So, we got to the hotel, and we put our stuff in the room.  Then we hung out in the sister-in-law's room.  We ate cheese and crackers, and we drank red wine.  We were in there for several hours.  I got thirsty.  I went back to our room to drink some water.  And I drank more wine.

When we went out for dinner, I drank one beer, and a lot of water.  But, I was forever thirsty, as usual.  When we were in the cab coming back to the hotel, I was just thinking about drinking water.  But we went to the sister-in-law's room again, and drank some more alcohol.  The sister-in-law's friends were going to bed, so they asked for some water.  The sister-in-law looked around in her bags, and she figured that they only had two bottles left.  So, she gave them one.  The mother-in-law was thirsty, so she wanted some water.  So, she got the last bottle.  I meekly offered to bring one of our bottles of water over, but the sister-in-law didn't seem too worried.

So, we drank more alcohol.  I finally got thirsty enough to walk down the hall to get water from our room.  So I brought one bottle to sister-in-law's room.  So, I alternated between drinking water and sips from the FP's glass of red wine, and then vodka tonic when the red wine was gone.

When we went back to our room, I drank even more water from our last remaining bottle, and there was less than half the bottle left.  In the morning, I woke up and finished the bottle.  Then we were out of water.

But, there was no convenience store nearby.

So, we bought a bottle of 20oz water out of the vending machine.

Then we went to brunch for Mother-in-law's birthday party.  I drank as much water as I could, in between alcohol drinks.

But, I never can get enough water in my system.  I'm Tantalus.  And yes, I did have to google that name.  And I will not apologize for not remembering my greek mythology better.

After brunch, a whole herd of us came back to the hotel and hung out in the breakfast dining area.  For hours.  I think I bought one or two bottled waters from the vending.  But, all I could think about while drinking, was where I was going to get my next bottle of water.  Which made it difficult to enjoy the bottle of water in my hand.

I'm an H2O addict.  I admit it.  I know I have a problem.  But my solution is to plan ahead.  Which I had thought I had done.

Sure, there were several people around me with cars.  How could I ask someone to take me to a store just to buy water?  It seems weird.  It seems neurotic, because, for me it is neurotic.  So, I just sat there.

Finally, hours later, The FP and the brother-in-law decided to go to the liquor store to buy more wine.  The FP drove the mother-in-law's car.  So, I tagged along to get my precious water.

The store only had wine and liquor.

No water.  No non-alcoholic beverages.

NO WATER AT ALL!!!

So, we were making our way back to the hotel, but we kind of got a tad bit lost.  And then we started passing convenience stores and pharmacies.  But, the FP didn't seem to want to stop, because he was kind of lost driving his mom's car, and there were no parking spaces in front of the stores.  So, I watched the CVS, the Rite Aid, the corner store pass before my eyes.

No water.  Wasted trip for my part.

So, later on, we went to dinner.  I drank my first glass as slowly as possible, but it was empty within half an hour.  And of course, it took a while for the waiter to come back and refill it.  Later on though, the manager or owner, or someone, came to check on us.  She asked if we wanted a pitcher of water on the table.

Yes we did.

I finished my water.  And then I went to ask for the pitcher.  It was gone from the spot I last saw it, to the right of me.  And then I saw it just to the left of me.  It was almost empty, but enough for 2/3 of a glass.  So, I asked the FP to grab the water.  He filled my glass about 2/3 of the way, and left just a little in the pitcher.  I guess it's kind of like not taking the last deviled egg on the platter.  It seems rude, and you don't want anyone to see you take the last one.

That was ok though.  I drank all my water.  I figured I could just drink the FP's water if I needed a back up.  But, then it was time to go.

So, we got a ride back to the hotel.  I went up to the room and dumped out all my change.  I had enough money for two waters.  So, I went down the hall and purchased my two waters.  I immediately opened mine and had a sip.  Then, I had to waste some of the water to take my vitamins with.  When I got into bed, I brought the waters.  I slightly grudgingly handed the FP the unopened water.

I'll be honest.  I wanted to give him the opened used water.  He wouldn't care.

But I didn't.  It was the right thing to do.  Plus, if I finish my water sometime during the night, I can wake up and reach around and drink the FP's water.

You always gotta have a backup plan.  After all the world may end from lack of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment