Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Stereotypes at work

So, we all know about stereotypes.  They are offensive because they point out negative or mocking personality traits or habits of a segment of the population as perceived by other segments of the population.  Or let's just say, it's what people think about others.

Like...

Black people like fried chicken and Kool Aid.

Asians are bad drivers.

Jews are bad tippers.

And white rich people control the country.



Here's an interesting dichotomy.  At home, women do the cooking.  In restaurants, men do the cooking.  That's a stereotype.

When I had my first interview for my new job, the chef asked me how I handle being in the kitchen with males, when the kitchen is a male dominated place.  I didn't know how to answer that.

How do I handle it?  I just am myself.  I'm quiet at first while I figure things out.  And then I slowly spread out and change things, even if these things go unnoticed by others.  This applies to any job I start, whether there are men, women, kids, goats, puppies (aww, I would love to work with puppies!  I should have been a vet or a zoologist).  Just because generally men are more aggressive and move faster in the kitchen, it doesn't always mean they are more effective or efficient.

Anyway, I am the only female in the kitchen at work.  You know the last time that has happened to me?

About 9 years ago.  And that was the only other time.

I repeat, JUST ONE OTHER TIME HAVE I BEEN THE ONLY FEMALE WORKING IN THE KITCHEN OF A RESTAURANT. Am I yelling?  SORRY!

The last time I was the only female in the kitchen was at a bar where I was the only kitchen staff five days a week.  The other two days, one of the male owners worked in the kitchen.

Anyway, is it weird to be the only female on a kitchen staff of like ten people?  Sure.  Does it bother me?  Hell no.  I could care less what the gender makeup in the kitchen is.

Unless I employ a stereotype here: Men are more careless and messy and don't clean up carefully after themselves.  So, when you've got say, seven men running around a kitchen prepping, grabbing things from the walk in cooler and putting things away in the walk in cooler, how many items get put back in the proper place or get wrapped up properly?

Some.  If the kitchen were mostly women, the answer might be more likely to be 90% of things would be put in the right place and wrapped properly.  But, in the heat of scrambling to get prep done or during service, am I one of the culprits?

.....yes....

Stereotypes.

I'm female.  So, currently I work pantry.  And I make the desserts.  Girl stuff.  I don't mind.  Tonight was our first official night open.  I was training people on pantry.  And I got to watch the hot food go out.  I'll learn the hot food eventually.  I'm not worried.  They want me to be the pantry bitch, I'll be the pantry bitch.  After all, I haven't worked in ten months.  I gotta get back up to speed.  Starting at pantry is always an okay way to do that.

Is my ego bruised because I'm working the "entry level" station?  Maybe at first.  But hey, I've worked every station in other restaurants.  I don't need to prove to myself or to others that I have the ability.  Do I want to work the line with three or four other people on the line that really accomodates three cooks space-wise?  Hell no.  I want to wait until they got all the kinks ironed out, and three cooks can work comfortably and efficiently.  Then I'll learn every station.

Sometimes I get the feeling that others might think I have no experience.  LOL! Let's just say that I've gotten around in my day!

So, for now I'll work pantry.  That's were the females are best suited in a restaurant kitchen.  It's funny, because pantry is probably my weakest station.  Well, I don't know.  With this menu, it's pretty easy.

1 comment:

  1. o The downside of using a stereotype to make a judgment about someone is that it might be completely misguided and incorrect, causing you to act inappropriately or worse still, offend somebody. It is too simplistic to assume that groups of people share the same ideals and personality traits just because they have something in common like their dress sense, culture or taste in music or religion. This is a form of prejudice and can be distressing for the person who is being prejudged, who might feel that they are misunderstood, particularly when a stereotype is racially motivated. The saying "Don't judge a book by its cover" demonstrates that appearance isn't enough to understand who a person really is.

    ReplyDelete