Search This Blog

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Unrelaxing "Day Off"

So, on Monday evening, I got my schedule for the week.  I was given today off, "so I could get some rest".  Last night, however, we sold a good amount of the desserts that I had made, so, they asked me to come in for a few hours to prep.  Which would have been fine.

Except I had scheduled an appointment to get the car serviced.  And I had a feeling it would be an all day affair.  The car was due for an oil change, and the check engine light was on.

I know, sometimes the check engine light doesn't really mean anything, right?  Well, there was definitely something wrong with the car.  When it would idle at a stoplight, it would sputter and vibrate and get worse like it was going to stall out.

So, we both knew there was something wrong with the car, but we didn't say much to each other about it, because that sputtering noise sounded like $$$ to us.  But, when the check engine light came on, and when the sound was getting worse, we really didn't have a choice.

So, I took the car in to the place down the street this morning.  As soon as I got in the car and started down the street, it started sprinkling.  I was wearing shorts and a tank top.  I thought it might be wise to grab an umbrella.  So, I turned around and grabbed my raincoat.  Then I also changed into my black capri pants too.  I thought the rain boots might be overkill, so I didn't put them on.

When I got to the shop, it was a little heavy, but when I went to walk home, it lightened up.  The walk home is not very pedestrian friendly, so I had to dodge puddles and walk in waterlogged grass and wait to walk into the road so I wouldn't get splashed.  I guess it would have been convenient to have a bike!  When I was around the corner from the house, the sky unleashed all over me.  I mean heavy downpour.

At least the rainstorm waited until I was almost home, right?

So, it rained and rained.  It thundered and lightninged really close to the house.  The cats did not like it.  The Fuzz slunk/ran away to hide under the bed.  Stinky came out to voice his quiet concern to the FP.

The FP coughed and coughed.  I felt suffocated in the house with the humid weather, closed up in the house, with the FP coughing.  I felt worried about getting sick, being around the coughing, everything in the house covered in sick germs.  I wouldn't want to see the house under a microscope!

I was waiting for a call from the shop.  The first call a few hours later was to tell me that they were trying to figure out what was wrong with the car.  The second was to say that they figured it had something to do with the fuel regulator.  The third was to tell me about how the car would not be ready until tomorrow afternoon.

I really didn't want to slosh the 20 minutes to the bus stop and go to work during service hours and try to prep a couple desserts, and then get back on the bus and then slosh home.  It would take just as long to get to and from work as it would to do the work.  Maybe even longer.  So, I called my boss.  Luckily, he agreed that it was ok to go in early tomorrow instead.

And of course, we really didn't have much food in the house.  We ate the rest of some potato chips.  Luckily, the FP is still pretty sick, so he hasn't been too hungry.  I haven't really been eating much the past two weeks because I have been working intensely all day long every day, so I wasn't too hungry.  Even if it wasn't raining, and after it stopped, I didn't feel like walking anywhere to get food.  There isn't too many choices nearby.  I didn't have the energy to slosh to the yucky Sav A Lot or anywhere else.  So, I started looking up delivery nearby.  I was thinking Italian because there are a lot of those around here - not that they are all good.

Then the FP said how he wanted wasabi to clear his congestion.  So I started looking up sushi.  Of course, the only places that deliver are those Thai - Japanese places.  So, I placed an online order with one place.  It took a while because I was distracted.  So, the website said to wait 10 minutes for them to call.  They called and told me that we were out of the delivery area.  So, then I went online and ordered from another place.  They called about 10 minutes later to tell me that the delivery driver had already left and no one would be there until 5.  So, I just said, place my order for after 5 then.  So, here we are, waiting to eat our one meal of the day, delivery sushi from a thai restaurant.  I hope it's good and fresh.  I have to get up early tomorrow to trek to the bus stop and get to work on time!

No comments:

Post a Comment