Search This Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Shopping Spree

So, I don't know about you, but I've never been a huge online shopper. Sure, I research stuff online and if I see a better deal online than at the store I'll buy something if I don't need to see it in person. But, there's things that help if you do all the research beforehand. Like when buying a computer. Especially a Mac. Have you ever been to one of those Apple stores? They are horrific. There is always a ton of people there, even though you know that maybe a third are there to purchase or for a service. And they are all touching on the ipads and computers and stuff, spreading germs and being noisy. Meanwhile, there's like one employee for every 3 customers. And they all kind of direct you to someone else, because their job is to just be there chatting about the weekend. Anyway, I can't imagine walking in and just saying, I'd like to buy a computer can you show me options and upgrades? You'd probably walk out of there with a $10,000 computer!

Anyway, since I've been unemployed, I've spent a little more time on the computer. And sometimes I need to buy something, but I don't feel like getting on a bunch of buses to get that thing, and I just want to buy it right then and there. Okay, maybe not there. But, I've become an internet shopper. I've bought books on Amazon.com. That's a good one, because you can get the book you want for way cheaper than at Barnes and Noble if you're willing to wait a week or two for it. I have a hardcover book on order about a lamp. Sounds exciting, no? It's got a human skin lamp shade. Little more exciting, yes? Anyhoo, it cost me around $5.

Also, I bought a 3 pack of acoustic guitar strings from Amazon.com. They were cheaper than musicians friend and the guitar store where we usually buy guitar strings.

Our car remote was falling apart, so I needed to buy a new one. My sis told me about getting a used one online and programming it yourself. So, I got one for $20 - which is about $40 less than if you order it from the company and probably $100 - $150 less than getting it from the dealer. So, that was easy.

I don't know how I stumbled upon diamonds on ebay, buy I did. So, I saw black diamonds going for under $1. I didn't know how small it would be, but I thought it would be tiny. I won it for .72 - and it came in like two days. It was teeny tiny. Like, I probably already lost it. And the funny thing is, the FP laughed at me for buying it. He told me that if I wanted black diamonds there were a bunch at his parents' house. Well, they are used for drill bits so you have to take them off the bit, but the same thing. I asked him why he didn't buy me a black diamond engagement ring. No answer.

So, I also am selling stuff online too. Today, I sold our Bose speakers that I bought maybe 17 years ago. One of the dual cube speaker assemblies doesn't stand upright because the speakers have detached from each other, and the speaker covers are gone. This is totally from it falling so much. Something is wrong with the bass module input or output jacks, so that all three of the cube speakers don't work at once, only two at a time. The sound isn't as crisp as it used to be, although I feel like part of the reason is the location in this apartment. Anyway, I sold it for almost nothing, just to get rid of it. I figured if I couldn't sell it that I would donate it. But, this Filipina lady took it. I tried to get rid of the cheap receiver too, but she didn't want it since she already had one. I made a conscious effort not to clean the stuff up since I was selling it for cheap. The FP didn't even think anyone would actually want the stuff. And it was funny, because the Filipina said, it needs to be cleaned, in that distinct Filipina accent. I just said it's been in the closet for a while. What I didn't say is, yes, that is cat throw up on the one speaker wire. Oh well, another day, another dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment