Search This Blog

Monday, September 26, 2011

What I'll Miss

Hopefully, every time you leave somewhere, there is something you will miss about that place.  There are a lot of things I will miss about San Diego.  It is after all,  America's finest city.  Here's a couple in particular.

Weather -
Well, it's not perfect.  When one lives in a beautiful climate, the standard becomes higher.  Every day is not perfect - clear with a few clouds in the sky, 75 degrees, low humidity - some days it's overcast, 68 degrees, sometimes it's 85.  And maybe once every few months, it rains!  Actually, I have complained that the weather isn't above 70 degrees long enough.

Beer -
So, there are maybe 20 breweries in San Diego County.  Okay, lately, I've been cutting back on the local brews.  For one, I don't work, so I tend to drink the beers with the better price point.  For two, I have developed a lower tolerance for alcohol, so if I drink lower alcohol content beers then I can have slightly more.  Although local brews generally have a great flavor, they on average are usually pretty strong.  For three, we don't go out much, due to the constricted cash flow, so I don't have access as often to a wide selection of local drafts.  I will also miss the local pubs that we go to which serve these fine brews.

Beach -
Of course there will be plenty of beaches in Florida, but the Pacific has seeped its salt watery way into my heart.  The shockingly cold, rough, raging deep blue wild ocean sings to me.  But not like a pretty mermaid siren song, more like an orchestral wave, like The Cure's Plainsong.  Every time I go to the beach, the sight, the feel of the Pacific breeze are enough to put me at peace.  I like every beach I've ever gone to here, but my goto beaches are really the more obvious ones:
Coronado - it's the closest, easy to park, and it's got a long stretch of sand that one has to hike across to get to the water.
Ocean Beach - old school hippie beach town.  Everyone there feels like we outsiders think they are lucky to live there, and of course they are.  There's the fishing pier and the long stretch of sunset cliffs.  Beautiful.
Mission Beach - it's got the boardwalk that isn't on a boardwalk, and it's small, but still festive.  It's always busy on the beach if it's warm, but, it's just a nice place.  I dream of having a vacation home there one day....
La Jolla - it's just beautiful.  I love the cliffs.  I love the seals, hate the children's pool controversy.  The value of real estate there is so not overrated.  Who the hell wouldn't want to live there.  Well, I wouldn't because I don't think I would necessarily get along with my neighbors....

Ethnic Food -
I didn't know when we moved here we would get educated on more than just Mexican food.  Which, I have to say, I have a whole different perspective of since moving here.  But since being here, I've had the best Thai, Szechuan, Philippine (from a restaurant), Korean that I've had so far in my life.  I've also had some really good Caribbean, although I know I won't be missing that in South Florida!  The whole local organic movement is great, and I can appreciate it, and I love so much of the local products that are available nearby, but some fancified free range burger probably won't make me gush like I'm having an orgasm like a good selection of chinese cold dish will.

Music -
I don't know what the future will hold as far as playing in a band, but I hope I have not played my last note on stage.  We got to play here in local venues quite a bit, and I've enjoyed it immensely.  I've also got to hear a lot of great local music, and great national acts.  A lot of the venues here are smaller, thus more intimate settings.  I got to see Her Space Holiday at Che Cafe late at night when I had to be at work the next day at 6 am, but it was great.  We saw Peter Murphy at the House of Blues for half price, and the place was half empty.  A couple years later, his show was sold out like a month before the show.  We saw Explosions In The Sky at an all ages no alcohol venue.  But boy were they amazing.  Being able to go to LA is also great for music, of course.

Of course, the few friends we have here are very dear to us, even if we don't see them too often.  And the people we interact with, the Mexican girls at the grocery store, the crazy people who work the late shift at the 7-11, the neighbors with the yappy and barky dogs, even the mean lady at the szechuan restaurant, we'll miss her too.

But, we're moving on to such an amazing adventure, so many new place to explore.  Even though it's the state that I grew up in, it's an area of the state that is foreign to me.  Although, I'll have to get a job pretty fast.  If we're going to explore the area we're going to need some cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment