Search This Blog

Monday, December 19, 2011

Public Works

You know what's gross.  How public restrooms and private business restrooms usually don't have hot water.  Either the hot water just runs cold, or no water comes out of the tap at all.  And then restrooms and beaches and sometimes at rest stops never have soap.  How gross.  So, the employees at these places - restaurants included - use the commode, "wash" their hands at the sink, then go back to work.

Now, I used to work at a place that didn't have hot water in the restroom.  So illegal.  But if the health inspector doesn't check, the health inspector doesn't know.  They make sure to check all the other sinks...

Anyway, back when I worked at said establishment, my crew was pretty "anal" about washing hands.  We all did a double wash.  Quick wash in the bathroom, and then we really did a thorough wash at the hand sink in the kitchen.  Just so you know.  And we used gloves a lot.  Not for every single thing.  Contrary to popular belief, the regulations for that depends on different variables.  It's not like everyone in the kitchen needs to use gloves all through the whole shift.

Sometimes wearing gloves all the time can be filthier than using bare hands.  Some people will not wash their hands or change gloves as often if that means they have to put on new gloves.  Also, say, gloves are scarce - the order didn't come in and everyone is allotted a finite number of gloves for the shift.  Of course, ideally, they would find a way to get some more gloves, right?  That doesn't always happen.

So, getting back to the hot water.  When we were traveling cross country, I had brought the hand sanitizer, but I kept forgetting to pull it out of the bottom our massive bathroom bin.  So, I often felt dirty.

It's weird, because I was such a dirty girl growing up - hygiene-wise.  Sometime in the past several years I became more cleanly than I used to be.  I'm not anal retentive all round, I'm more pick and choose obsessive compulsive.

I mean, when I was using the old keyboard cover, it started to bug mean that it was getting brown spots on certain keys.  It's a computer cover though, so it's job is to be a surface to grab the dirt so it doesn't transfer on or under the keys.  So, my problem was, how could I wash the keyboard cover and let it dry and use the computer.  I don't like to touch the bare keys without their condom.  Sure, I could clean the cover and wipe it and let it dry overnight.  But that would entail me remembering to do it, and taking the time to do all that before bed.  I already have enough trouble taking out my contacts, putting on my glasses, taking my vitamins, brushing my teeth without gagging, refilling my water for bed and refilling the brita container, cleaning out the litter box if it wasn't already done, locking the screen door and the apartment door, and turning off the TV and the lights.

And this new keyboard cover just is a dirt grabber, mostly on the wrong side.  The underside is very clingy, so somehow dust and dirt and cat hairs are managing to get under it!  It reminds me of those creepy crawly octopus clingy toys.  I feel like they came in the Wendy's kids meal, I don't know why.  I just remember having hours of fun, throwing them on the wall and watching them slowly crawl down.  Now, those were easy to wash, because I wasn't putting them on a water sensitive computer.

I really need to wash this new keyboard cover and clean the computer, but when I set it aside, I need to make sure when it dries it doesn't accumulate new dirt.  Or maybe I should just buy a new better one?!  Or maybe I can get a small bubble type device that I can put the computer in.  Then I can reach in the glove fixtures to type on the keyboard.  With those built in gloves, technically, I wouldn't have to wash my hands as much - with hot water or cold water!

No comments:

Post a Comment