Search This Blog

Thursday, December 15, 2011

License to Push a Shopping Cart

Sometimes, I think in my ideal police state, where everyone does the right thing, uses common sense, has self awareness and is thoughtful of others.  You know... like in the town of Seahaven in the Truman Show.  Polite and repressed.  Sounds wonderful, right?

What the hell does this have to do with shopping carts, you ask?  Well, maybe just anyone shouldn't be allowed to use them in high traffic areas.  Like little kids that are too little to navigate properly, or don't have the attention span for it.  Or... old people.  Yeah, I said it.  Here in Hallandale,  there is always so much traffic, and all those cars are driving to the numerous shopping centers in the vicinity.  And the drivers and passengers of the cars pile out and pile into the crowded stores, behind the handle bar of a shopping cart.

The number one problem with cart pushers is no awareness of one's surroundings.

So, there's the groups of people who take up the whole aisle.  They don't even have to have a cart.  They are all spread out looking for a specific item, or even worse, they are idly chatting, and they have no idea you want to get around them.

Then there are the ones with the carts who push in the middle of the aisle at an escargot pace, so no one can pass on either side of the aisle.  And then they stop to analyze creamed corn brands and pricing, bending, sticking their... derrieres out as another obstacle.

Of course, there's the little kids who plow into anything, man, food, machine without discretion.

And then there is the lady who was in front of us walking into Whole Paycheck (well, when you aren't getting a paycheck... it's cheap right? And besides, I went into the Publix nearby one or two times - a lot of stuff cost more there than Whole Foods).  She was a skinny legged old pasty white lady, with rolled up skinny white capris and a clingy long sleeve t shirt that showed off her... it's not a muffin top.... not quite a roll... it was like a square... bullnose sitting atop her pants.  Anyway, I'm not one to make fun of others.  Okay, yes I am.  I think my anxious mood is only fueling it.  But, I'm not exactly going to be a hot topic of the TV show fashion police, unless they are criticizing my wardrobe.  

So, this lady was kinda doing the sidewalk block so we couldn't get around her.  No big deal.  Then she managed to grab a cart and still block us.  She side swiped every single rosemary christmas tree bush on the floor.  She edged them all and didn't even notice.  And then she was trying to maneuver around some other shoppers, and she hit another bank of rosemary trees.  And I had been contemplating getting one of those for the cats!

Anyhoo, I can't wait to become one of those crazy old devil may care ladies!

1 comment:

  1. "Anyway, I'm not one to make fun of others. Okay, yes I am."

    Haha! Uh, ME TOO!!!!!

    I was at Henry's one time and this man had is fkg shopping cart blocking the aisle. He was in front of me and only had a few items. Well, couldn't he have moved her damn cart up? No, he did not. He left it there and I couldn't even get in to put my stuff on the belt. Then, I politely asked him if he could please move his cart. I repeated it twice, then realized he didn't speak English. I looked to the cashier to see if he could kinda help me, like, 'Excuse me sir, please move your cart, etc.".

    No, they both fkg looked at me like it was MY FAULT the damn cart was there. I made a big deal of it by saying it was inconsiderate and customers should move up their cart. The bottom line is, the asshole didn't even do it, acted like he was not even inconveniencing others, namely me. People like that should be shot and thrown in a mass grave!

    I ended up moving up the cart and the bag boy moved it. I shouldn't have had to move the cart but I needed to do it so I couldn't put my stuff down.

    I mean, this isn't TJ whereyou can just leave shit lying around. Some people have no common courtesy whatsoever!

    ReplyDelete