Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Birthday Post

So, it's my birthday.  Getting old... yeah, yeah, I know, you're only as old as you feel, right?  True.  But I can tell I'm getting older when I don't have a definite idea of what I want to do for my birthday.

Well, I did know I wanted to go kayaking.  We were originally going to go to Biscayne Bay, but it was really windy last night and a "cold front" came through.  So, we thought it might be a little choppy for our first kayaking adventure.  Instead, we just went down the street to the Oleta River Park, or whatever it was called.

Let me tell you, there was ugly traffic getting there.  US 1 was just trafficky those 5 miles we were on it.  Then, once we turned into the park, it was so peaceful.  Sure, there was a little boat traffic getting in and out of the boat launch, but once all the boats spread out, it's pretty peaceful.  We just paddled around these little islands in the inlet.  I gotta say, it was scary though, crossing the open water with the slightly choppy water.  Especially when we saw all the other kayakers who fell out of their boats.

When we were kind of headed back towards the park, we finally got to see what in our heart of hearts we were both hoping to see... manatees.  They were about 20 feet to the left of us.  It looked like a mama and an adolescent.  They were just a little ahead of us, hugging this one island for about 15 minutes.  This was one of the coolest things I have ever witnessed.  I always loved manatees as a kid, but I had never seen one in it's natural habitat.  I got to see two today!

So, that was the highlight of the day.  I really don't care what we do for the rest of the day.  I got my present!

No comments:

Post a Comment