Search This Blog

Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Cats Are Suffering

So, the past several days we have been neglecting the kitties.  They are used to us being around all day, or at least coming back to the apartment every few hours.  Sometimes they don't really come out, but I think they still like knowing we are here.  Since I stopped working they really get used to lots of attention, and they act up when they don't get it.

So, where the fuck have we been?  Well, we closed on a house on Tuesday.  We have been shopping, doing stuff at the house, shopping again, doing more stuff at the house, staying there late, and then coming back here exhausted.

Now, this house was in way better condition than most of the places we saw in the same price range.  But, we've never owned a house, and there is so much about home improvement and maintenance and repairs that this will be a struggle for us.

The weird part, is that.... shhhh... it's kind of a secret.  Well, mostly from my family - as in my dad and all relatives on his side.  My sisters know.  So, please don't go blabbing on facebook, or call my dad and tell him.  

Yes, it may seem weird to you, but this is not the forum for discussing serious family matters.  My Personal Story is the blog for that kind of depressing dark shit!

Anyway, it is very exciting.  I spent a lot of my life not expecting to necessarily ever own a house.  We kind of have moved a lot over the years.  I think we got so used to living in apartments, that it was just our way of life.

I don't recommend moving to a new city that you know little to nothing about, and immediately looking for a house, and putting an offer on the first one you like.  There's a lot of things we might have done differently if we knew more about the area.  Okay, maybe not.  But, it's like, every little thing one needs to do to set up a house, we know nothing about.  Like, I had to google what the electric company here was.  I had to google a lot of stuff.  I found out on the very helpful and explanatory City of Hollywood website, that you need a permit for a shed.  I didn't know that.  I thought that people just go to Lowe's, load one in the back of their truck, assemble it at home and then they've got a shed.

You have to have a permit for almost EVERYTHING here.  It's ridiculous.  But on the other hand, when we were doing the inspection and stuff, we were given a record of permits on the house from as far back as they would go online... sometime in the late 80s.  This was very helpful, seeing as how the house is almost ready to receive social security!  It looks like the people who lived in the house loved it and took care of it.  And the realtors who bought it last, did some nice work on it.  It's not perfect, but it's cute and charming, and it is now ours.

We did a marathon painting session.  We bought some paint on Tuesday evening, after we closed on the house.  We painted the master bedroom that night.  There was a definite learning curve.  I have never painted textured walls, and let me tell you, it's not as fun as it sounds.  Let's just say, it's not the most precise job, but I'm happy enough with the results.

The next day, we painted the one wood panelled wall in the dining area.  Then the FP went out and got more paint, and we painted the Florida room, and then we did the studio last.  The studio by far looks the best.  Which is funny because we were so tired and over the whole painting process.  Today, we finished up the edges and blaring naked spots.  Like I said, it's not anywhere near perfect, but it's... charming.  I'm sure the FP's mom will hate it.  I love it already though.

I won't post pictures yet, because I want to kind of wait to unveil the finished product.  So, with that, I shall take my leave to catch up on some reading and maybe spend some quality time with the cats, if they will have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment