Search This Blog

Saturday, December 17, 2011

More Reckless Riders

So, I got this new keyboard cover.  Actually, it was for the FP, but it isn't form fitting like the old keyboard cover, so he got the old one and I took the new one.  It's like, there is no way he could use this one.  It's big and loose.  The FP is the kind of person who can manage to kick around the heavy duty floor mats in the car and fold them up.  So there, no way he could type with this keyboard condom on...

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand.  The other day I was talking about this lady who was running over the rosemary bushes with her shopping cart at Whole Foods.  If you haven't read it, it's here:  License To Push A Shopping Cart .   So if you need to read it, I will pause right here.  Those of you who have read it can ff.






So, this morning - actually, it was almost noon because we got up late - we were running at the beach.  Actually, the FP runs, I jog.  It's Saturday.  There are way more people out on the weekends, of course.  There was this one older couple who were cute.  They were gracefully rollerblading (yes, I guess that is possible) and holding hands!

Then there's the serious exercisers, the amateur ones, and the just for fun enjoying the day ones.

And then there's the bikes.  There is a wide bike lane, but of course, some choose to not use it because it a high traffic lane.  So, I was jogging back towards the car.  There were people biking on the left and the right.  I was trying to stay in the middle.  But then a car would come, so I would have to go over to the far side.  This older man - serious exerciser - was biking at a pretty good clip on the far side, not in the bike lane.  There was a man with the littlest kid in the bike seat behind him.  The second littlest kid was following behind on his little bike with the training wheels that weren't even touching the ground. The biggest kid was probably four or five.  He was ahead of the pack.  He was weaving all over the place, making circles, hogging up the entire paved space.  The dad didn't seem to mind.  So, I was going the same direction as the family of bikers.  I saw the serious exercise man coming from the other direction, so I was staying in the middle.  This oldest kid was still ahead of me, weaving, and he was headed diagonal, like he was planning on side swiping serious exerciser.  Serious exerciser kept edging away, and the kid almost hit him and me.  Serious exerciser called to the kid to stay in the bike lane, but he acted like he didn't hear.

And he kept weaving and making circles as they passed me.  The more I watched this kid, the more pissed I got.  The dad didn't even seem to care.  Finally, a bunch of people were coming in both directions, so he told the kid to stay in the bike lane.  The kid half listened.  He was weaving around the bike lane line.  Cars started coming, so the dad was a little more vocal about staying on the inside of the line.  Then the kid asked why the line was there.  Dad said, because it's the bike lane.  And the kid was like, what's the bike lane for.

Okay, I couldn't be pissed at the kid anymore, because, clearly, he was retarded, I mean mentally challenged.    I mean, there had been talk of the bike lane, and it took him that long to go, what's a bike lane?  So, that was the only acceptable explanation to me.  So, then, I thought I should be more pissed at the dad, because he was a little too cavalier.  He should have told the kid the rules and courtesies before they started biking, right?  And if the kid didn't understand he should have made him understand before biking.  I mean, you gotta be watchful of your mong...re...mentally challenged ward, yes?

So, the kid was kind of riding slightly more in the bike lane, it seemed, only because there was heavier traffic and he didn't have much choice.  But he was still weaving, which was still annoying.  This one man was running in the bike lane behind them (setting a confusing and bad example for the poor mentally challenged kid)  and was getting ready to pass them from the outside.  The kid started weaving even more, as if... once again, he was aiming to hit this guy.  And then the kid fell with the bike on top of him.

I didn't laugh out loud.  But that was because I stopped myself.  I was glad I was behind them so they couldn't see me though.  Karma, I tell ya.

There was a second or two of silence, and then he started crying.  The dad kind of quietly asked if he was okay.  The kid didn't answer.  So, the dad took this as an opportunity to tell him how it was important to stay in the bike lane in his own space.  So, I passed them.  And after a bit, the kid got back on his bike and started leading the pack again.  Just on the outside of the bike lane, but in a straight line.  As they passed me, the dad urged the kid to get back in the lane, again.

I mean, he had to have known I had been observing the whole scene, right?  And he had to know I was casting judgement on his parenting, even though I have never had a child.  I mean, that's part of the reason I don't have one.  That and the whole dealing with other people's poop.   Because I don't want to be bringing a little asshole around in public and having people judge me on my lack of parenting skills.

Later on, we were driving down the street by our apartment near where the speed humps are.  Yes, they are humps, not bumps.  These are longer than speed bumps.  So, this woman, who may or may not reside at the dumpy Motel Fredola on the corner, was riding down the middle of the road in her motorized wheelchair.  As I approached her, she started to angle towards the middle of the right side of the road, more directly in front of me.  And she was approaching the hump cautiously.  So, I didn't know if she intended for me to follow behind her like a two vehicle parade or she was having problems with her steering, or if she was trying to eventually get to the far right of the road, to not have to go over the humps.  I didn't know the rules when dealing with a wheelchair in the road.  Should I have honked at her like that guy the other day who honked at the biker in the road?  Should I have revved my engine as a joke to scare her?  Or maybe I should have slammed on the gas and stopped short of her?  What would the guy who honks at bikes in the bike lane have done? What would that rude beach biking kid have done if he had been driving the car?  So I ended up going around her.  It seemed the safest easiest choice.  No one was hurt, or nearly hurt, or fearful of getting hurt.

2 comments:

  1. haha - good story! if the kid is mentally challenged, then they kind of have an excuse...

    speaking of lack of parenting skills, bert and i were at tc's piano recital this afternoon. thank goodness the piano teacher had it in 2 parts, otherwise we would have been there for 3+ fkg hours. tc was in the 2nd half so we didn't show up until after the 1st half left.

    anyhow, there's kids onstage playing the piano and all. we're sitting in the back. some bratty kid was up and speaking loudly and whining with his equally bratty brother. the parents didn't even tell them to be quiet, don't be rude, etc...bert even turned around to stare them down. i mean, no one was telling these kids to STFU! then, bert even asked the kids politely to please 'keep it down'.

    i was wondering where the parents were and bert whispered, they're right next to the kids, which meant they were directly behind us.

    after that, the kids quieted down for a tiny bit, then they started yelling in their playground voices while kids were still performing.

    it takes a lot for bert to even do this, but he politely asked the kids to take it outside if there were going to talk. that's when the stupidass parent butts in, "hey, those kids have parents. if you have something to say, say it to me'. so bert said, 'well, let your kids know that they need to be quiet'! i mean, seriously, what a dumb fkr. Oh, NOW all of a sudden the guy wants to take action?

    bert didn't want to get into it anymore and the guy didn't pursue it. he didn't even tell his kids to be quiet. maybe they saw the whole interaction and it made a small impression on them that a stranger had to tell them to STFU and that a stranger had to talk to their dumbass dad!

    my husband is not one to try to discipline other people's kids but he felt so strongly about these kids' wild behavior that he tried to say something about it, then the guy tries to pull that shit on him so bert throws it back to him, "well, then YOU need to tell your kids to SHUT THEIR PIEHOLES" (jk, he didn't really say that, but you know what i mean).

    sheesh, the nerve of some people. i hate bratty kids so much. i hate whiners, complainers, and kids that throw tantrums and the stupid parents that have no common sense or common courtesy to take their kids out of the public eye if they're acting up.

    all right, let me get off my soapbox now.

    haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man... that sounds so irritating. I can understand that it had to be over the top for Bert to have to say something! What a jerky asshole that guy sounds like!

    So, the kid on the bike wasn't retarded... that was just my excuse for him and his dad. Funnily enough, I didn't talk to the FP yesterday about how annoying everyone was. He saw that family as well. The not retarded retarded kid (I mean nonmentally challenged mentally challenged kid) was standing by the bushes. His dad was saying... wait. Don't start. The FP was passing by. The kid started to piss. Right there in front of the FP. The dad didn't stop him. So....bad parenting. There aren't a ton of restrooms on the beach, but there was one not too far from where they were!!!

    ReplyDelete