Search This Blog

Friday, May 11, 2012

Dumb Fucking Ass!

So, do you like irony?  Irony can be humorous, no?  It can also be painful too, though.

Here's some irony for you.  So, as you probably know, I am a "pantry chef".  Or a pantry wench is really more fitting.  So, I don't work on the hot line, I only use the oven or the stove to prep stuff before service, and I might use the flattop to cook myself a chicken breast.

But, I managed to burn myself today.  Pretty bad too.  So, these aren't the best pictures.  But, here's the worst two burns.




So, I made caramel.  I'm working on a new bread pudding, so I made the caramel to put in the bread pudding later.  I put it on the shelf above the pantry station to cool.  I was getting ready to leave.  I knew that the FP was already at the bar waiting for me.  Then an order came in for 2 salads.  The second order for salads all day.  I mean ALL DAY.

So, I started making them.  Yeah, I was kind of in a hurry.  I went to grab a handful of bacon to put on the caesar salad, and imagine the shock when I got a handful of hot caramel.  It took my brain time to process, as I felt the searing burn before I saw that caramel was all over my hand.  Luckily, there was a hand sink next to the pantry, so I turned on the cold water to rinse it off.  I also grabbed the caramel off with my other hand, and so burned my other hand as well.  Actually, the photos are the burns from the other hand.

So, I grabbed a cup of ice water and stuck my hands in it.  Then another order for 2 more salads came in.  One of the night cooks had started working already, and I could have asked him to make the salads.  But I didn't want to be a pussy.  So, I made them.  And they weren't the prettiest.  And then I clocked out, grabbed my shit and left.

But I left my coveted lunch there.  My chicken wings!  So pissed!  I hadn't really eaten all day and my food was there on the pantry station where the caramel had been.

So, we were making our way back home.  And I had brought a cup of ice water for the road to stick my hands in.  Of course, it's Friday, so there was mad traffic.

Yes, I said "mad traffic."  Because that is the appropriate phrase.

And my ice melted before we even got on the I-95.  And there was traffic on the 95.  And my hands hurt like rough S&M.  Not in a good way.  I found some neosporin in my bag, but that didn't help at all to soothe the pain.  Then I finally thought about holding my hands in front of the ac vent.  And it helped.  So, that's how I positioned myself the rest of the way home, leaning forward with my hands pressed against the vent.

When we got home, I took one of Rudy's big ice cubes and held it in my hands until it basically melted.  It numbed my hands, but when it wore off, it hurt like anal sex with a hedgehog.  So, I made the FP go to the store to get burn cream.

Of course, they were out of burn cream at the store.  It's like the universe is against me.  He got cortisone, which just made my burns tingle more.  And he got some kind of burn spray,   Dermoplast burn and itch spray, which kind of works.  It is better than nothing.  So, against my principles, I am dripping this burn spray on my keyboard cover.

It's a cover though.  It's designed to shield the keyboard from stuff like burn spray.  So here I am.  Typing away with these weird feeling blisters on my palm and inside finger.  How I'm going to use a knife tomorrow at work, I don't know.  I will probably have to wear a glove and pad it with tissue to cushion the blisters.

Or I could pop them.  We'll see.

Oh, and I will recommend to my chef that we have burn cream on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment