Search This Blog

Sunday, July 14, 2019

Fizzle

So... Thursday, we were finishing getting ready.  Then we had to go to work.  Thursday is usually my prep day.  I go in several hours early to get ready for the weekend.  So I was scrambling to get ready and leave.  I went to the car, and I noticed the driver back tire was low, and I just filled it the other day.  I looked at the tire, and sure enough...



I think all our tires have magnets on them.  This is a chronic problem.... no matter where we live.  It's not like we go driving through construction sites or anything.... Anyway, luckily, there is the tire shop around the corner.  I drove the wrong way on Iberville to pull into the shop, because I'm reckless like that 🤣.  Anyway, the guy wasn't working on anything, so it took about 10 minutes, and then I was off to work.  It was weird because I wasn't sure what to prep.  We might be closed the next couple of days, the power might cut off.... but then next week was Tales of The Cocktail week. This is like the busiest week of the year for my job.  So it was weird.  But we had a lot of food anyway because we have been slow.

So, this whole time, this stupid storm wasn't really forming the way it should.  So it was just this mess hovering in the gulf.  So, it's like waiting for someone to come beat you up, but they have a nail in their tire so you're just waiting.  You know they are coming, but they should have already been there.

Anyway, this whole weekend was all just waiting for Barry... or #tropicalstormgodot.  Friday, we waited all morning to see if our jobs would be open.  We went and did errands.  We walked Rudy.






Finally, the call came for TFP, the bar would be open, but the kitchen would be closed.  For my job, it would just be a skeleton crew.  So I just went in an hour before open to set up.  I made 3 plates while I was there.  The other cook showed up around 5, a little wet, as he had parked his car in the hospital garage a few blocks away, and he encountered sun showers all the way to work.  So, I left and it was sunny.  So, we just watched local news all night, but nothing happened.

Saturday morning, we woke up to this




Basically, no weather.  We watched as Terrebone parish & Plaquemines parish got weather and storm surge, but we had clear skies.  The radar showed lots of weather, but we didn't get much rain at all... we ate our snacks, TFP cooked meatballs for spaghetti & meatballs for dinner.   We watched local TV all day.  The north shore got some flooding, as they are used to getting.  

Later in the day, when there was some drizzle, I noticed my little creek that I dug on the side of the house to drain onto the street wasn't directing water the way I wanted.  So I started scooping some more dirt out to modify it.  Then our neighbor came by and saw I was digging.  He had just bought tools to dig a trench, so he brought them over to me.  Then he went and mowed his lawn (he's got lots of grass) and a couple neighbors' lawns too.  Then he came over and dug a trench under his house.  He had been planning on putting subsurface drain under his house, because the rain had been pooling under our house.  So, wine glass full of beer in hand, he came over and dug a ditch.  All the while we were still under a "tropical storm warning".

So, later on, I walked Rudy in the neighborhood.  It was pretty ghost townie.  

I took some pictures around the neighborhood.  Some photos are of things that might have been an issue, had a tropical storm come through our neighborhood.

This is the debris line on the neutral ground from the flood on Wednesday.  Not the best perspective, but this was high.




See the blue house across the street?  That's our house.  This wood was in front of our house on Wednesday morning.


Wary little black cat

One of the only houses that boarded up for the storm

aren't banana trees designed to weather really bad storms?

look closely at the base of the darker utility pole on the left.  Would this have been standing if 35mph gusts had come through?

entergy doing some kind of work




my series of leaning utility poles






make sure to put your garbage out before any storm



droopy utility lines

Anyway, luckily, nothing happened, so these things weren't an issue.  This time.



No comments:

Post a Comment